Metallica 72 Seasons A Year Later

Only Metallica album I've never bought. Lars and Kirk have lost the plot, and Fiddleman is no producer.

Especially if they know the formula Metallica used to write their early stuff. I just wrote an entire new "Metallica" album using that method:

Now just gotta have JH sing over it.

I think Rust In Peace is a better record than anything Metallica has ever done :dunno:

I get what you’re saying and agree with some of it. BUT, when Bob came along they were still pretty much underground, and he didn’t give a shit that they “were Metallica”. Like em or hate em, they’re now on or close to the Mount Rushmore of all time bands. It’s harder to tell a legend they’re fucking up.
Case in point, find some articles where Tony Iommi was outraged that Rick Rubin bought up some old Laneys to use when recording. Iommi complains. Yet, I would have loved to have heard that.

Case in point, find some articles where Tony Iommi was outraged that Rick Rubin bought up some old Laneys to use when recording. Iommi complains. Yet, I would have loved to have heard that.

I saw a video with geezer talking about that, apparently Rubin rolled in a bunch of old gear and told them pretend it was 1969 and they were like wtf is this shit lol. Apparently Rubin was a label move to try and hype the album up that failed miserably

I saw a video with geezer talking about that, apparently Rubin rolled in a bunch of old gear and told them pretend it was 1969 and they were like wtf is this shit lol. Apparently Rubin was a label move to try and hype the album up that failed miserably
Rick Rubin is a dick. But I actually liked the tone thinking. Think of how much everyone would B love to have heard EVH playing his old rig, rather than the modern over gained thing.

It's crazy how metallica completely forgot how to write music at a certain point.

I don't think it's a stretch to say theres probably a dozen RTers, who, given the resources metallica has, could have come up with a way better album/songs/riffs/tones.
To a degree I think they just shot their wad and were spent after AJFA. When you take in everything they did up through that album, it was a monumental feat of inspired riff-based songwriting. That well had to run dry.

To me the only band that comes anywhere close is Megadeth and I’d say they fall pretty far short, even though I am probably a bigger Megadeth fan than Metallica. Just between the two of them and their best albums, I’m surprised they left any riffs for the rest of us.

To a degree I think they just shot their wad and were spent after AJFA. When you take in everything they did up through that album, it was a monumental feat of inspired riff-based songwriting. That well had to run dry.
Most TV series peak around the third or fourth season, then it’s all downhill. It certainly feels like the soap opera that is Metallica is in it’s 72nd season.

To me the only band that comes anywhere close is Megadeth and I’d say they fall pretty far short, even though I am probably a bigger Megadeth fan than Metallica. Just between the two of them and their best albums, I’m surprised they left any riffs for the rest of us.

I disagree as far as Metallica and Megadeth being the best riff based bands - they're certainly the most popular, but dudes like Kai Hansen, Jon Schaffer, Mikael Akerfelt, and Mike Scalzi all had significant higher (artistic, not commercial) peaks for significantly longer, according to every metal critic on earth.

I think it's possible they "shot their wad", but most likely of riffs Dave wrote lol

I certainly don't have any trouble coming up with cool riffs 🤷

I have listened to it more than any of their albums after the Black album but wouldn't care if I never listened to it again

i really have no idea, it really is an incredible accomplishment if you think about it, its a tremendously hard thing to do.
The answer is easy. Het Set & Bone Breakers. Low gain softer versions of real metal pickups!

The answer is easy. Het Set & Bone Breakers. Low gain softer versions of real metal pickups!
Dunno... When I was into actives I thought the EMG Het Set held their own against the SD EMTY Blackouts. Maybe the tone just fled their fingers in protest.

They sound great for slower stuff but lack the immediacy of the 81. They have greasier splatty mids and low mids.
Yep. I've had the Het Set in 4 guitars and one of them I enjoyed. They're OK, but not an 81 if that's what you want.

The Bone Breakers on the other hand are just soft & weak.

They sound great for slower stuff but lack the immediacy of the 81. They have greasier splatty mids and low mids.

This is a really good description of the het set.

I think the idea was to make them sound somewhere halfway between an 81 and a passive like a dirty fingers or something, but they only got the boominess of the dirty fingers and none of the grind or grunt. Splatty is a really good way to describe it, especially the bridge.

Back