MHG vs. EG5 - anybody done a direct comparison??

bduersch

Here's my dilemma... I absolutely LOVE the tone of the MHG... it's fat, warm, gainy, aggressive... all the things I like. However, when we have band practice and I whip out the MHG, I swear I immediately disappear from the mix. I've tried different EQ settings w/o success. I know I'm not the only one noticing it, too, since there have been times when I switch to the MHG and the other guitar player comes over to turn the volume up.

So maybe my question is two-fold?

1) Has anybody been able to get the MHG to hold its own in a band context?

2) Has anybody tried both the MHG and EG5 for sake of direct comparison? Does the EG5 hold up any better in band context?

Thanks in advance,
--B

Haven't tried the MHG, but from all accounts the EG5 definitely cuts much better in the band mix. I can comment on that!! Most guys seem to agree, but I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

1) Maybe if you are the only guitar player in the band. Otherwise, no.

2) Ive had both. You want EG5. You wont have any problems ever being heard again and its got the saturation, thickness, and clarity you are looking for. Basically, the EG5 was born from tweaking the MHG to cut better.

EWSEthan":1rme7uia said:
1) Maybe if you are the only guitar player in the band. Otherwise, no.

2) Ive had both. You want EG5. You wont have any problems ever being heard again and its got the saturation, thickness, and clarity you are looking for. Basically, the EG5 was born from tweaking the MHG to cut better.
What he said :D

Keep in mind, many find the EG5 to be thinner sounding than the MHG and more 80s metal. However, I have not played one so i am going off opinions. Maybe the EG3/4 or SL2 might be a better choice?

richedie":110e1n3q said:
Keep in mind, many find the EG5 to be thinner sounding than the MHG and more 80s metal. However, I have not played one so i am going off opinions. Maybe the EG3/4 or SL2 might be a better choice?
You would like the EG3/4.It's like the SL2 but smoother and darker.I like the SL2 better(I still like the EG3/4)this would be up your alley.

jmgman69":1nwve8cs said:
richedie":1nwve8cs said:
You would like the EG3/4.It's like the SL2 but smoother and darker.I like the SL2 better(I still like the EG3/4)this would be up your alley.

Do you know if it cuts better than the MHG? Again, however, I heard my MHG live and I thought it killed.

richedie":2evltp8n said:
jmgman69":2evltp8n said:
richedie":2evltp8n said:

Do you know if it cuts better than the MHG? Again, however, I heard my MHG live and I thought it killed.
I think it does.

Back