Mod 50

Buckeyedog

OK, this amp is giving me serious thought on picking one up. Do the 5881 tubes give the best compromise between the clean and crunch? Also, I've heard just a bit on a "new" module.....can anyone give me the lowdown on that?? Thanks.

Buckeyedog":418ed said:
OK, this amp is giving me serious thought on picking one up. Do the 5881 tubes give the best compromise between the clean and crunch? Also, I've heard just a bit on a "new" module.....can anyone give me the lowdown on that?? Thanks.

5881 perform the best, longevity, and ability to work well, not perfect..ala 6l6 with Fender, el 34 with Marzalll but the best with all modules.

JXH....Modified MHG with more upper mids and top end...ala Lynch Back for the attack.

Jeff Hilligan 5881 perform the best said:
Sweet man and thanks. Wonder what the KT77's would sound like? I think they are sort of a cross betweent the 6l6 and EL34. I like them in my "build class" amp.

That new module sounds killer........can it do the "low/mid gain" thing as well??

man I'm really tempted just to go ahead and put one on order.........

What does JXH standfor? Jeff <BLANK> Hilligan? :LOL: :LOL:

How complicated is the mod? I would like a little more upper mids I think. The MHG doesnt cut quite as much as my SL2. However, I think this would make the MHG a little more Soldano and a little less Bogner. I hear alot of XTC Red in it stock.

-Matt

EWSEthan":0f6bc said:
What does JXH standfor? Jeff <BLANK> Hilligan? :LOL: :LOL:

How complicated is the mod? I would like a little more upper mids I think. The MHG doesnt cut quite as much as my SL2. However, I think this would make the MHG a little more Soldano and a little less Bogner. I hear alot of XTC Red in it stock.

-Matt

ya we dont want the official name to the the X module...then everyone will think its a Bogner module. So its the JXH right now. Mod is easy and will give you that necessary upper mid whack the MHG really needs...its to dark the way it is and it needs more cut! So the new module or mod to the old MHG!

Jeff Hilligan":b8e1a said:
ya we dont want the official name to the the X module...then everyone will think its a Bogner module. So its the JXH right now. Mod is easy and will give you that necessary upper mid whack the MHG really needs...its to dark the way it is and it needs more cut! So the new module or mod to the old MHG!

Hi Jeff,

I bought Tony's (mctallica) MOD 50 and I was wondering if you had a chance to hear or play the MHG module that he had modified to Ultra XL specs? and if so, how does that compare to the JXH?

MarcoR":5fb4e said:
Jeff Hilligan":5fb4e said:

Hi Jeff,

I bought Tony's (mctallica) MOD 50 and I was wondering if you had a chance to hear or play the MHG module that he had modified to Ultra XL specs? and if so, how does that compare to the JXH?

No I did not. The JXH is much more upper mid but not obnoxious. The MGH is dark and does not cut when at lower volumes. This is very lynch in sound...Back for the attack!

Jeff Hilligan":e2200 said:
Buckeyedog":e2200 said:

5881 perform the best, longevity, and ability to work well, not perfect..ala 6l6 with Fender, el 34 with Marzalll but the best with all modules.

JXH....Modified MHG with more upper mids and top end...ala Lynch Back for the attack.

Jeff, can Bruce mod a Twin module into a T/D?? Or would I have to sell it and just buy the T/D??

Thanks

Buckeyedog":6410c said:
Jeff Hilligan":6410c said:
Buckeyedog":6410c said:

Jeff, can Bruce mod a Twin module into a T/D?? Or would I have to sell it and just buy the T/D??

Thanks

Is it dual channel?

Oh no....I have a Mod 50 on the way and it has the MHG. I hope it cuts. I tend to like thick and dark tones as long as they cut fine. I am in a modern heavy rock band so this seemed like the perfect model. Maybe I should look into the E-Rec but I am not a huge fan of Rectifiers for lead. The EG 3/4 looks and sounds sweet however.

Looks like mine is going to come with the Bassman and SL2 modules. Of course I'm already thinking about wanting to try the T/D and the new JXH modules!!

Can the Bassman do a decent SRV/Hendrix type of tone?? I can change and go with a twin and the SL2..........???

Buckeyedog":ea9ec said:
Looks like mine is going to come with the Bassman and SL2 modules. Can the Bassman do a decent SRV/Hendrix type of tone??

The Bman and SL2 are what I'm mainly using and I find that combo everything you would want it to be. Yes, while the A channel of the Baman does the classic Fender clean, The B channel is SRV/Hendrix all the way. I love the B channel, its very dynamic and sensitive; it lets your guitar snarl when you want it to.

MarcoR":ec342 said:
Buckeyedog":ec342 said:
Looks like mine is going to come with the Bassman and SL2 modules. Can the Bassman do a decent SRV/Hendrix type of tone??

The Bman and SL2 are what I'm mainly using and I find that combo everything you would want it to be. Yes, while the A channel of the Baman does the classic Fender clean, The B channel is SRV/Hendrix all the way. I love the B channel, its very dynamic and sensitive; it lets your guitar snarl when you want it to.

Thanks man, that's what I want to hear! I'm pumped to try this bad boy.

Got my Mod 50 today. The transformer is titled and the chassis bent a bit......appears the UPS thugs probably dropped it on it's end. I e-mailed the seller to ask about it. I may be able to bend it back to shape. It does work though.....got some crackle when on high power only, I'm betting power tubes. I have several pairs to try. The tone though.......Wow, sounds awesome! Love the SL2. Bassman is sweet too, but I need to tweak it a bit. I mainly just plugged in to see if it worked ok. Can't wait to tweak with it a bit. Might have to get some of those tung sol 5881's to try.

Oh, no footswitch, or back panel or power cord. Doh. I've e-mailed the seller.......sure hope he has the stuff!!

Welcome to the fold! Should not be an issue with the tabs being bent on the tranny. but if you are concerned send it the Egg layer and Bruce will fix it. The SL 2 is an awesome module..I am stuck with it and the COD and could not be happier! Now for giggles do what I did and throw a set of JJ 6V6's in it. Stays really round and gets you 25 watts full power and 3 to 4 on low! I really like them a lot. The Tung 5881 are awesome when you need to push air, but the 6V6s are still loud as hell!

Buckeyedog":b2d83 said:
Got my Mod 50 today. The transformer is titled and the chassis bent a bit......appears the UPS thugs probably dropped it on it's end. I e-mailed the seller to ask about it. I may be able to bend it back to shape. It does work though.....got some crackle when on high power only, I'm betting power tubes. I have several pairs to try. The tone though.......Wow, sounds awesome! Love the SL2. Bassman is sweet too, but I need to tweak it a bit. I mainly just plugged in to see if it worked ok. Can't wait to tweak with it a bit. Might have to get some of those tung sol 5881's to try.

Oh, no footswitch, or back panel or power cord. Doh. I've e-mailed the seller.......sure hope he has the stuff!!

Congrats dude! But Jesus, what did the seller do? Toss it around his house for awhile before shipping it?

SL2 is the absolute bomb. It is hands-down my favorite module. Its just ungodly good.

What do you mean by no backpanel? The back of my MOD 50 is open too. I think its supposed to be to help keep the components from overheating.

Enjoy it! It sounds great at all volumes, but once you get that master at 1/2, the SL2 will OWN you.

-Matt

Back