Modern Country Techniques/Lessons

lespaul3013

Hey guys! Any country guys in the house??

I'm looking to learn how to get that modern country "rock n' roll/twang" vibe goin'!

I'm a big fan of the newer country stuff that has a little bit of a rock feel to it (IE. Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line, etc.). I've been asked to play in a band that does a lot of this music - a lot of the rockin' rhythm stuff seems pretty basic, but I really need help with the "pedal-steel" bends and the twangier bits with the lead guitar...

Anyone know any good online lessons for this type of stuff? Or even just some advice would be great!

I'm mainly looking for the types of scales, chord voicings, note choices, etc. that really give the music that "feel"...sorry if this is super vague, but I'm trying to get some quick help since I don't have much time to learn the material.

CAGED system...

Also, learn the "major" pentatonic positions... Ex, in Key of E major it would be the root, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th... so E, F#, G#, B, C#

Using the major(raised) 3rd along with the min3rd(b3rd) in the minor pentatonic positions is also very popular in country... So in your standard A minor Pentatonic scale you would have a, c, (c#... major 3rd passing tone), d, e, g root, min3rd, maj 3rd, 4th, 5th, min7th.

Country uses alot of Ionian(major scale) and Mixolydian as well.... Just experiment, play around, 'listen' to the country feel and phrasing and start incorporating into your playing.

Brett Mason, Johnny Hiland.... a couple amazing players to look up. Cheers and good luck bro :rock:

Cory

Also you might want to check out Doug Seven. He is a great teacher not to mention a monster player.
You can google his name and find his website, also he has a lot of free video's on you tube. Doug
chiefly concentrates on country of all types, he has many many students online. Hope this helps.

Brad Paisley and Johhny Hiland have inspired me to no end.Johnny has dvds out..Brad needs to get one out....

Back