Morris UK ‘78 experience

I had an early 80's stock JMP that needed so much work, I sold it and got a Suhr SL67.
The Marshalls can be great, but they are wildly inconsistent, and ofter need new caps, pots, and other stuff besides tubes to get them cooking.

I've played the Morris UK78 and it's every bit as good as a real Marshall from that era. I'm not sure who's hearing a different midrange in internet clips, but I do know the amp is the same as the Canadian (lower voltage) models from the late 70's, with a few upgrades.

I'm still rock'n the Morris 69'/70'. It's still my go to amp. I'm tempted to try the UK 78' but I don't think it would be that different from the 69'/70'. Anybody try these 2 back to back?
I’ve lost count of how many Morris amps Glen has built for me. The 69/70’ was the only one that I couldn’t get along with. Not bad per se, just different than what I was expecting. But it was one of the first ones and Glen has a knack for always tweaking and improving things. So maybe that’s it.

I understand for sure. And i would love a great sounding jmp, but you buy a 60 year old amp, you have a lot less reliable of an amp for one. Then i dont know about jmp, but the jcm are so hit or miss with sound. Some of these modern offferings sound so good. My MGL, for instance, I wouldn't trade for anything. It isnt for everyone, but it checks almost all my boxes.
This seems to be a common thing for players who've never owned a vintage amp. You may hear the rinse/repeat 'but all those caps are bad!! The amps are going to explode!!' thing ad nauseum as well. But, most of the time it's a non issue. The only thing that can wear out are the caps, and they are easy to simply change out for less than a hundred bucks IF they show signs of leakage, or the amp sounds thin or weak in its output. The Daly/LCR caps, according to Larry are virtually immortal UNLESS the amp has sat for a while unplayed. And, you'd see signs like bulging on the bottom or even powder coming out.

Out of 50-60 pre 1990 Marshalls I've owned, only 1 had leaky caps and sounded off/thin. The rest, I changed the caps on some that had F&T, I don't care for those, and on a couple more just because. But, it didn't make a difference really on those that weren't obvious with leakage or thin sound.
I've only ever had issues, playing out, with newer amps and that was with the tubes they came with, before I went vintage with those as well. Not a failure since. The only transformer issue was with a Ceriatone 2204 where the stock PT died. That's why I always recommend going with a Ceriatone without their transformers, and putting in your own.

I had an early 80's stock JMP that needed so much work, I sold it and got a Suhr SL67.
The Marshalls can be great, but they are wildly inconsistent, and ofter need new caps, pots, and other stuff besides tubes to get them cooking.

I've played the Morris UK78 and it's every bit as good as a real Marshall from that era. I'm not sure who's hearing a different midrange in internet clips, but I do know the amp is the same as the Canadian (lower voltage) models from the late 70's, with a few upgrades.
Curious; did your tech tell you these things with those Marshalls? Because I can't tell you how many times certain 'techs' say shit just to drum up income. The most common is "hey, your tubes are bad. I'll get you JJs for 200...." when the tubes that came with the amp are vintage Mullards, and have YEARS of life left. Tech walks away with them. Or, the caps are 40 years old GOTTA CHANGE THEM bullshit.
There are good techs, and there are thieves and/or idiots that do things just because they believe they should. Then a vintage amp is de valued because he threw away perfectly good vintage Daly caps.

I guess I must be the lucky one to have owned 60 vintage stock/modded Marshalls and only had 1 with the can caps needed changing. No other issues with any of them.

This seems to be a common thing for players who've never owned a vintage amp. You may hear the rinse/repeat 'but all those caps are bad!! The amps are going to explode!!' thing ad nauseum as well. But, most of the time it's a non issue. The only thing that can wear out are the caps, and they are easy to simply change out for less than a hundred bucks IF they show signs of leakage, or the amp sounds thin or weak in its output. The Daly/LCR caps, according to Larry are virtually immortal UNLESS the amp has sat for a while unplayed. And, you'd see signs like bulging on the bottom or even powder coming out.

Out of 50-60 pre 1990 Marshalls I've owned, only 1 had leaky caps and sounded off/thin. The rest, I changed the caps on some that had F&T, I don't care for those, and on a couple more just because. But, it didn't make a difference really on those that weren't obvious with leakage or thin sound.
I've only ever had issues, playing out, with newer amps and that was with the tubes they came with, before I went vintage with those as well. Not a failure since. The only transformer issue was with a Ceriatone 2204 where the stock PT died. That's why I always recommend going with a Ceriatone without their transformers, and putting in your own.
Interesting. Some i suspected but was cautious of.

I'm very happy with my UK'78. Sounds full at low volumes too. Not thin like Marshalls do. Gain is enough and doesn't fart out when maxed. I boost mine either with an SD-1 or Griffin Chiron (thanks Wayne). The amp is very quiet too even when boosted. Probably the least noisiest of my amps.

While it doesn't have low and high inputs like a Marshall JMP 2204, the UK'78 shines with adjustments to your guitar's volume knob. Clean to a hard rocking mean machine. Boost it for metal. Killer amp!

Glen's selection of preamp tubes is spot on. I tube rolled only to come back to his stock tubes. Eyes of the South here posted those tubes. I'm a fan of that EH7025.

Attachments

• 20240329_164637.jpg
    20240329_164637.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

My experience was the exact opposite having had now over 20 different old Marshall's, but even so I'd see that as a fairly small price to pay for the better sounding amp. The only Marshall's that I had to have my tech service were a 1968 Major, which was poorly packed and not that great anyway, and a Cameron Aldrich modded 1979 JMP2203 that was also poorly packed for shipping. I've brought a bunch of other vintage Marshall's in to my tech and he'd say they didn't need anything after going through them

I've not tried any Morris's. For me, it's not a different midrange I hear in clips. It's mostly that somewhat filtered/restrained sound recent made amps tend to have vs older amps sounding more raw or unleashed. I don't like when gear sounds tame or held back, but it's always possible I'd think differently if I heard one in person

From what I’ve read and heard, G. Morris is a first-class builder and knows his shit—vintage gear, tone, craftsmanship—big time.

Personally, I’d go with the UK 78. You’ll get a fantastic amplifier, you’ll be able to speak with the guy who built it and it will outlive all of us—not to mention killer tone!!

Also; with JMPs/JCMs, they’re very “hit or miss.” We all know how wildly different they can be. If there’s one for sale locally, and you can take her for a test drive, maybe. Could be a gem.

But, all things considered; Morris. No guessing or wondering about its reliability or authenticity etc. My $.02.

Let us know what happens, and good luck!!🤟⚡🎸

From what I’ve read and heard, G. Morris is a first-class builder and knows his shit—vintage gear, tone, craftsmanship—big time.

Personally, I’d go with the UK 78. You’ll get a fantastic amplifier, you’ll be able to speak with the guy who built it and it will outlive all of us—not to mention killer tone!!

Also; with JMPs/JCMs, they’re very “hit or miss.” We all know how wildly different they can be. If there’s one for sale locally, and you can take her for a test drive, maybe. Could be a gem.

But, all things considered; Morris. No guessing or wondering about its reliability or authenticity etc. My $.02.

...Listen. Can he outlive Larry? Guy is taking all kinds of supplements, cigarettes, catepillars, and teenagers

Old Marshall’s have been very consistent IME. Maybe I’m just lucky, but I think this whole thing about them being inconsistent or less reliable is just marketing bs so that guys go for the current boutique offerings. I get it, but for me that experience has just been a more boring sounding and feeling amp

Buy a vintage Marshall for the right price and if you have to unload it, you’ll always get your money out of it.

Buy a new ( Marshall flavored / Clone ) amplifier and if you have to unload it …

😉
Story of my gear journey lol. I profited on most Marshall’s I sold, broke even on a few, and took big losses on most of the boutique Marshall-esque amps I had. Maybe if I sold them when they were flavor of the month I would’ve done better. I think they’re hot for a bit because of silly honeymoon phases and eventually guys AB and realize it wasn’t as good as they first thought

I don't know man, I've never played, owned a 'miss' in any vintage Marshall. Maybe they needed to be biased? That's pretty common and if you or the seller don't know how to check/do this, then I can see how some might not sound good. But every single one, 50-60 of them all sounded at least good and a few were incredible. One needed new caps, and any of the others just needed a re bias.
I must be lucky.

I don't know man, I've never played, owned a 'miss' in any vintage Marshall. Maybe they needed to be biased? That's pretty common and if you or the seller don't know how to check/do this, then I can see how some might not sound good. But every single one, 50-60 of them all sounded at least good and a few were incredible. One needed new caps, and any of the others just needed a re bias.
I must be lucky.
I haven't really heard anecdotal stories of guys with "bad" Marshall's. They seem to just parrot (maybe from these amp makers?) that vintage Marshall's are inconsistent, unreliable and need work. You can read this same nonsense about real PAF's on Wagner's website that seems to be a way to detract from them and likewise they don't hold a candle to good vintage pickups (as good as they for something recent). I guess no one should buy any vintage gear period, too unreliable lol. Just get something recent that sounds consistently "pretty good" at best

Old Marshall’s have been very consistent IME. Maybe I’m just lucky, but I think this whole thing about them being inconsistent or less reliable is just marketing bs so that guys go for the current boutique offerings. I get it, but for me that experience has just been a more boring sounding and feeling amp

I understand where you’re coming from. I heard the same filtering thing in the Friedman Smallbox. But I have to disagree and say that old Marshalls are indeed inconsistent. Maybe not in quality, but in sound. I remember a trip to LA with a buddy of mine back in the mid-to-late 80’s. We were young and didn’t know a whole lot about amps at the time. But we were at a big music store that had a bunch of “new” at the time Marshalls. Couldn’t tell you the store or the exact models…..I’m assuming JCM800’s.

We played several of them and they all sounded a little different. They also had a pile of Carvin tube amps. Couldn’t tell you what those were either. But those all sounded exactly the same. I remember this scraggly haired salesman/owner or whatever he was specifically telling us about the variance in the Marshall’s and letting us play through all of them. We spent hours in there.

Those differences become exaggerated over time with component drifts and people swapping tubes and what not. Buying a vintage Marshall these days is a crapshoot. That’s why I asked Glen forever to just build me a straight 2204 clone. I loved his own designs and I knew it would be killer. He didn’t want to, but finally did. Then the 68’ and 67’ followed in that line. FWIW, I liked the Ceriatone 2204 as well……enough to buy a new one twice. But the Morris MV and loop just puts it way ahead.

I understand where you’re coming from. I heard the same filtering thing in the Friedman Smallbox. But I have to disagree and say that old Marshalls are indeed inconsistent. Maybe not in quality, but in sound. I remember a trip to LA with a buddy of mine back in the mid-to-late 80’s. We were young and didn’t know a whole lot about amps at the time. But we were at a big music store that had a bunch of “new” at the time Marshalls. Couldn’t tell you the store or the exact models…..I’m assuming JCM800’s.

We played several of them and they all sounded a little different. They also had a pile of Carvin tube amps. Couldn’t tell you what those were either. But those all sounded exactly the same. I remember this scraggly haired salesman/owner or whatever he was specifically telling us about the variance in the Marshall’s and letting us play through all of them. We spent hours in there.

Those differences become exaggerated over time with component drifts and people swapping tubes and what not. Buying a vintage Marshall these days is a crapshoot. That’s why I asked Glen forever to just build me a straight 2204 clone. I loved his own designs and I knew it would be killer. He didn’t want to, but finally did. Then the 68’ and 67’ followed in that line. FWIW, I liked the Ceriatone 2204 as well……enough to buy a new one twice. But the Morris MV and loop just puts it way ahead.
Well to be fair, most of those Marshall’s I had were pre-JCM800, but I haven’t tried a bad 800 yet either except for maybe some recent ones sounding a little brittle. That filtered quality though has become a really big turn off for me and you just don’t hear that sound in amps made before the mid-90’s or so

Well to be fair, most of those Marshall’s I had were pre-JCM800, but I haven’t tried a bad 800 yet either except for maybe some recent ones sounding a little brittle. That filtered quality though has become a really big turn off for me and you just don’t hear that sound in amps made before the mid-90’s or so
I love Marshalls. I never said any of them were “bad”……just inconsistent in sound. But yeah, I know what you’re talking about. FWIW, I have no experience at all with any Marshalls other than older JMP/800’s and modern DSL and JVM.

First real amp I ever owned as a teenager was a Marshall 4010 1x12 combo. Used that thing forever and boosted it with a DOD250.

Last edited:
I love Marshalls. I never said any of them were “bad”……just inconsistent in sound. But yeah, I know what you’re talking about. FWIW, I have no experience at all with any Marshalls other than older JMP/800’s and modern DSL and JVM.

First real amp I ever owned as a teenager was a Marshall 4010 1x12 combo. Used that thing forever and boosted it with a DOD250.
Gotcha. If they at least consistently sounded good and raw but different that seems like not that risky a buy to make, but I haven’t tried that many Marshall’s from around I’ll say 1983 on to early 2000’s-ish since I generally preferred the late ‘70’s JMP2203/4’s (which have been consistent IME) to the ‘80’s 800’s. I don’t like the JVM or DSL’s

Old Marshall’s have been very consistent IME. Maybe I’m just lucky, but I think this whole thing about them being inconsistent or less reliable is just marketing bs so that guys go for the current boutique offerings.
I haven't really heard anecdotal stories of guys with "bad" Marshall's. They seem to just parrot (maybe from these amp makers?) that vintage Marshall's are inconsistent, unreliable and need work.
It was G. Morris who walked me through the purchase of my last two vintage Marshalls (to help make sure I didn't get ripped off). There was never any hard sell or comments made to steer me in his direction to buy another one of his amps instead. So if you're maybe lumping Morris in with your "these amp makers" comment, you'd be off base on that one IME. I do love my old Marshalls a lot, but I later ended up buying another Morris amp as well. For the tones I go for, they are just as much fun to play as the vintage stuff.

It was G. Morris who walked me through the purchase of my last two vintage Marshalls (to help make sure I didn't get ripped off). There was never any hard sell or comments made to steer me in his direction to buy another one of his amps instead. So if you're maybe lumping Morris in with your "these amp makers" comment, you'd be off base on that one IME. I do love my old Marshalls a lot, but I later ended up buying another Morris amp as well. For the tones I go for, they are just as much fun to play as the vintage stuff.
Yeah I haven’t tried any Morris’s to be fair and didn’t mean to imply that he specifically was doing that. It’s been many other boutique Marshall amps I’ve tried that I didn’t care for, so I just gave up after a while. I did still hear some of that filtered/restrained quality in a Morris clip I heard, but in person it could be a different story. Clips only can say so much I understand

My amp collection actually is roughly 50/50 with vintage and recent amps, but my recent amps aren’t Marshall, Vox, or Fender styles, not that I’m against it, just what’s ended up as keepers for me of recent stuff

In retrospect, for me at least, it was actually really guitar stores I’d been to when I was younger that discouraged me from going for vintage Marshall’s (and vintage amps in general). I won’t mention names and many of those stores are no longer in business anyway

Last edited:
Back