My Tuner won't pick up the Drop D???? More Help!!

tonmazz

While I have you guys in assistance mode with all the great help on my pick up issue, here is another one. I have a Boss TU-2 which works great except it won't find the D when I drop in either regular or half step. Is this normal?? Is there a tuner out there that will pick this up accurately? I am planning to do this by ear during gigs and this will only lead to out of tune crap. More help needed! Thanks.

I have a cheapo bleepo tuner from, like, 20 years ago... It doesn't pick up Drop D or the like so I simply tune the other strings to key and then drop it accordingly with harmonics.

I also do the same with Drop C full step down.

V.

Ventura":1pd1vt7h said:
I have a cheapo bleepo tuner from, like, 20 years ago... It doesn't pick up Drop D or the like so I simply tune the other strings to key and then drop it accordingly with harmonics.

I also do the same with Drop C full step down.

V.

I've been doing that but my concern is playing out, sometimes I won't be able to hear it the way I'll need to if other crap is going on. I was hoping to quietly step on the tuner and get er done! My Korg doesn't pick up the drop stuff either.

Peterson Strobo-stomp...4 years of gigging without issue. It's built like a tank and extremely accurate.

I had a TU-2 that tuned to D and lower without any problems. :confused:

You could try one of those cheap Planet Waves tuners. They are new for like 30-40 USD and work fine.

rupe":ncn4roj1 said:
Peterson Strobo-stomp...4 years of gigging without issue. It's built like a tank and extremely accurate.

Ahh crap! I hope 232cap isn't going to read this. He has this tuner and I bust his balls because I hate all the crap moving, drives me crazy. Now I might have to get one. Damn! What about that one that came out a while ago with the circle spining around the note, looked pretty sweet. Can't recall the name...

Dehumanize":2u1t6wl5 said:
I had a TU-2 that tuned to D and lower without any problems. :confused:

You could try one of those cheap Planet Waves tuners. They are new for like 30-40 USD and work fine.

I was afraid someone with a TU2 would say that, I wonder why it isn't going there for me. Are you in chromatic mode when you do it or is it working in flat and double flat mode too?

If you get to a point where the tuner won't pick up the low string, just hit the 12th fret harmonic on that string and use it to tune. We've got a few songs in our set list that are tuned down to B and C, and while my TU-2 won't pick the open string up, it works fine with the harmonic.

tonmazz":2tjqsxfj said:
rupe":2tjqsxfj said:

Ahh crap! I hope 232cap isn't going to read this. He has this tuner and I bust his balls because I hate all the crap moving, drives me crazy. Now I might have to get one. Damn! What about that one that came out a while ago with the circle spining around the note, looked pretty sweet. Can't recall the name...

You are thinking of the Sonic Research turbo tuner, those are great. I was on talkbass forums yesterday and the bass players were saying it had no trouble picking up the low B on a 5 string bass.

I have a peterson Strobostomp2, nice tuner, but its not true bypass stock (has a 1meg anti pop resistor), and I had to remove a cap to get the screen to work righter. Peterson support was great on the screen issue and telling me what Cap to remove. Still wished I would have saved money and gone with the Turbo Tuner.

I always kept it in chromatic mode, but I use a Korg DTR-1000 lately. Another trick is to lightly pluck the string above the 12th fret (try the harmonic too), it apparently causes the string to resonate more purely so that tuners can register the notes better.

blackba":9np3y2e7 said:
tonmazz":9np3y2e7 said:
rupe":9np3y2e7 said:

You are thinking of the Sonic Research turbo tuner, those are great. I was on talkbass forums yesterday and the bass players were saying it had no trouble picking up the low B on a 5 string bass.

I have a peterson Strobostomp2, nice tuner, but its not true bypass stock (has a 1meg anti pop resistor), and I had to remove a cap to get the screen to work righter. Peterson support was great on the screen issue and telling me what Cap to remove. Still wished I would have saved money and gone with the Turbo Tuner.

That's the one, Turbo Tuner! That thing looked like the ticket, if it's picking up low bass notes, it has to work! Thanks.

I have experienced similar problems with tuners. Some just don't go that low.

I use a Boss TU12H, which has a high and low register settings. I use the low. And on my Gmajor, there is a "7 String" mode that I have it set for to pick up lower tunings.

I think the moral of the story here is you can't use a cheapy guitar tuner if you wanna tune lower than standard. You need something that you can tune guitar, bass... a piano... whatever. Basically, a good tuner.

I've seen bass players use the boss tuner (Doug from Kings X was using one when I saw them). Try using your neck pickup and roll off your tone control.

blackba":y5odtqy3 said:
tonmazz":y5odtqy3 said:
rupe":y5odtqy3 said:

I heard that as well but its completely transparent in my rig so I've kept it stock.
That said, I forgot about the Turbo Tuner...I definitely would like to check one out but I'll wait until I have a reason to do so.

rupe":1dvpxob3 said:
I heard that as well but its completely transparent in my rig so I've kept it stock.
That said, I forgot about the Turbo Tuner...I definitely would like to check one out but I'll wait until I have a reason to do so.

On my strobostomp2, I noticed the slight tone change since I have a pretty big pedalboard, and the 1megohm resistor in the parallel was not helping any. It was only 1 surface mount resistor to remove. Frankly, I don't notice any difference in 'pop' when I switch it on and off.

My buddy recently got a Korg Pitchblack tuner, pretty nice tuner. They have a rebate going on with those last I checked, you can get them for a great deal....

Back