My Warrior (piezo bridge) has no output now?

Matt300ZXT

So I had this Warrior worked on the other day, had the frets leveled and polished and the guy said he had to remove the neck pickup to get to the higher frets and he didn't put the neck pickup back in so great, so I had to take the new strings off, redo the screws/springs that adjust it and put it back together. I got it playing and jammed on it, and it started farting out after a couple days and the output was dying. I assumed I had killed the 9v battery that controls the piezo bridge by playing with the switches that likely activate it. I put a brand new battery in just now and still I have zero output. No slight buzz coming through the amp, no nothing. I'd hate to think some jack or switch randomly died but it has a stereo output back. If I take pics of the guts, can someone tell me what to check with a multimeter to see if I can diagnose what part might have failed? I'd like this very expensive guitar to play again.

The guitar has a Neutrik stereo jack with the little red tab you're supposed to push to get the cable to release...well the cable just comes and goes now w/o having to push the tab. Also, I am poking around inside with a small screwdriver and when I touch on the white wire coming off one of the tabs that connects to the middle lug on a pot, and then has a jumper wire from it to the volume pot's middle lug, I get a little static. Also, by pressing on the tab on the jack that wire connects to, I get some fuzz and very slight guitar sound coming through the amp.

By inspecting it further, it looks like the tab that the white wire connects to wiggles in and out of the body of the jack. I'm guessing maybe just due to age the jack gave up the ghost?

Does it sound like my input jack just happened to die and it's coincidental to having the frets worked on?

Sounds like someone stepped on the cable to the guitar while playing and ripped the cable out, messing up the Jack. It’s most likely the Jack and not the pickup but there’s no way to know for sure what happened or what’s damaged.

Nothing was ever damaged, it's in great condition, I'm just guessing the jack gave up the ghost. When I first got it, the jack was secure, but it's old and I guess doesn't have the strength it used to. Just sucks, cuz this jack is like $15 and will have to order it.

Aha! She is fixed!

While I was back home earlier this week, I took it by a friend's house that I was learning to build guitars with and knows some of the guys that used to work at Warrior and he took a peek. Apparently, one of the guys that used to work there, and he immediately knew who did the wiring by looking at his half-assed work, wired this guitar up. He had used a bare wire to ground the 3-way switch and piggy-backed it onto the neck pickup's ground wire and after moving the neck pickup around, it would make contact and ground out the pickup and I'd get no output. He tried a few things and then just gave me a long piece of shielded wire and told me what to do. I de-soldered the bare wire from the switch and snipped the piggy-back and re-taped to insulate the pickup ground wire and ran it through the holes into the control cavity and grounded it to one of the pots and voila....she roared back to life! It feels good to have such an expensive guitar working again.

Back