NAD - Friedman Runt 20

ledvedder

I'm really digging this thing so far! For a little 20 watt amp, it sounds huge and loud. The 1x12 cab sounds fantastic.
IMG_20201112_202026__01_copy_1024x1469.jpg

I originally decided that the Smallbox was the tone I was looking for, but the price tag and 50 watts wasn't what I wanted. After speaking with Dave, he said he could mod a Runt 20 to a Smallbox. So there was my 20 watt Smallbox. So, I went on a search for this. Now, after playing it, I'm not even sure if I'll bother having Dave mod it.

I recently shifted a few pieces of gear and landed a SmallBox combo.
It’s amazing I love it.
Stupidly powerful and impractical for a 40 year old dad in an apartment but whatever. The plexi channel is honestly one of the best sounds I’ve heard in an amp.

I am really loving the full rhythm tones I'm getting from this little guy. But, one thing I'm struggling with is the lead tone. As soon as I got to single note lead lines, the tone just seems to thin. I'll have to try some different EQ settings in the loop.

My SB manual came with some Friedman recommended settings which I started from and then tweaked. ‘The Friedman sound’, or so it states. I think the BE sound is in the dna of these amps so these settings might be useful universally.
Those settings are
B8 M6/7 T5.
It states the gain for 8. Some magic happens in my SB around that level.
No mention of the presence setting though.
I find the amp is a little dark and loose if the presence is set less than noon.
So I have the presence at 6/7 and it seems to tighten the bass response. For the be channel at least.
The settings in your picture are low on presence and bass possibly. Crank those a bit and the amp may sound tighter and punchier.
Cool amp.

Back