NAD New Mesa Dual Rec Blackout

Jayy

Well, it's a new amp day. UPS just dropped it off an hour ago. It's a new 2018 Dual Rectifier in what Mesa calls their "black out" cosmetics. This is my first Mesa and so far it's seeming like it's going to be pretty awesome. I'm just playing around with it and getting my head around it. If any of you guys with dual rec experience have any pointers let me know. Here is the obligatory NAD pic.
mfYAonah.jpg

Congrats!!! That's a heck of a Christmas huh :rock:

I just got my first Mesa (MW Dual Recto) a few months ago. They rip! I play my mine clean boosted, treble @ zero, mids cranked up :rock:

MetalHeadMike":2xm812g3 said:

I just got my first Mesa (MW Dual Recto) a few months ago. They rip! I play my mine clean boosted, treble @ zero, mids cranked up :rock:

Just read this and my immediate reaction was, bro, you crazy. Just tried it and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound great. Really smoothed out the top end sizzle.

MetalHeadMike":3betyvh3 said:

Thanks! Yeah, its a pretty sweet Christmas present. It could have only been sweeter if I could have found someone else to buy it for me. Nobody is dumb enough to do that! LOL. I'll have to try your settings!

So far I'm really enjoying this thing as I get my head around the controls and tone stack adjustments. What really surprises me is how great the clean channel is. I mean, this is a seriously GOOD clean channel! I didn't expect that. I'm playing with channel 2 on the vintage mode and channel 3 on the modern mode and boosting it with an OD-808 and having a blast! :rock:

Fordman65":2odtaeu1 said:
MetalHeadMike":2odtaeu1 said:

Just read this and my immediate reaction was, bro, you crazy. Just tried it and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound great. Really smoothed out the top end sizzle.

Glad you like it ;) I tend to use fairly unconventional settings for a lot of amps.

GJgo":2ut6gm5u said:
Congrats!!

I'm a Mesa whore. I've had LOTS. ATM I have a MW dual. It honestly rips. Here's a vid I did. TBH, if I could ONLY have one amp, it would be a MW triple Recto.
https://youtu.be/JITmyLJ12z4

Thanks! Your dual rec sounds great! You are using the same boost with it as I am (OD-8088). I have several other OD pedals that are great for boosting too, but the OD-808 seemed to match great with the dual rec immediately.

Congrats. Killer amp. :yes:

Read the manual twice is my advice. Don't EQ with your eyes. I run my Rectoverb with EL34s and love it. I run my Quickrod treble at zero too, but not my recto - but yeah, give it a shot.

Looks awesome! Congrats. I had a blacked out Triple Recto once that I stupidly sold in a fit of GAS. That’s one I wish I still had

The Maxon 808 is, to me, the perfect Recto boost. That said I don't always run it- occasionally my right hand is precise enough that the amp is nice & tight on its own.

Hey curious since you also have a SLO, and the Recto circuit is based on it, what's your impression of the difference?

GJgo":1eovtr15 said:
Congrats!!

I'm a Mesa whore. I've had LOTS. ATM I have a MW dual. It honestly rips. Here's a vid I did. TBH, if I could ONLY have one amp, it would be a MW triple Recto.
https://youtu.be/JITmyLJ12z4

You have so many awesome amps. Wish you able to record the better. Are you using your phone? If so, never place it direct in front of the cab. Dont like any of the tones but know they are good in the room.

peterc52":3dlmf7y6 said:
You have so many awesome amps. Wish you able to record the better. Are you using your phone? If so, never place it direct in front of the cab. Dont like any of the tones but know they are good in the room.

For the last year ago I've used a SM57 or SM58 (which I prefer) into an iRig and then into my iPhone. The mic is on the edge of the dust cap & the cone, just in front of the grille. With V30s I have it at a 45° angle & with the G12T75 I prefer it straight on. All that said I've never been able to actually capture how it sounds in the room, closest I've come is with the IIC+ vs IIC++ vs JP2C comparo. Recording is not my strong point..

mhenson42":m3m1nbhc said:
Looks awesome! Congrats. I had a blacked out Triple Recto once that I stupidly sold in a fit of GAS. That’s one I wish I still had

Blacked Out Triple Rectos are GAS worthy

Back