NAD: Soldano SLO Mini

spguitar

My parents hooked me up for my 38th birthday. This little sucker is a monster. I gotta get an EQ pedal to beef the lows a little but otherwise it's great. Plenty of layer recording to come for this one.

c8ZvxbTh.jpg

If they ever put them out in purple, it will be mandatory

Attachments

• 1D275208-0ADA-44B2-B16F-E399B17543E6.jpeg
    1D275208-0ADA-44B2-B16F-E399B17543E6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Meh. I'm probably going to sell mine. It's just too much gain for me. I loved my Decatone and SLO 100, but the older I get, the less gain I use.

Meh. I'm probably going to sell mine. It's just too much gain for me. I loved my Decatone and SLO 100, but the older I get, the less gain I use.
Honestly? Me as well. Weird huh? Apparently players like Phil Collen and Neal Schon don't feel the same way cause I swear they play with more gain then ever.

I don't listen to any of Phil's or Neal's current playing, but they had great tones on their biggest heyday albums. I know the SLO100 and 30 have great tones in them, but on the crunch, not OD channel. I'm getting to the point that I'm throwing 12AT7s into my old Marshalls to shave off the gain a bit.

The SLO OD channel gets too compressed with gain up so I keep it down and hit it with a boost. It's more open to me but with some saturation.

Honestly? Me as well. Weird huh? Apparently players like Phil Collen and Neal Schon don't feel the same way cause I swear they play with more gain then ever.
EVH was in that camp too. I think decades of touring completely ruined their ears, and their perception of tone and gain is not as fine tuned as it used to be IMO.

Even without ear damage I think gain is like a new toy. Once we started getting amps with high usable gain we went overboard with it. Then we start to realize with too much gain you lose some personality of your tone.

Even without ear damage I think gain is like a new toy. Once we started getting amps with high usable gain we went overboard with it. Then we start to realize with too much gain you lose some personality of your tone.
I'll also add that as the years go on, we all improve in our playing to some extent and eventually realize that the ton of gain is not needed. Now, I still play with a fair amount of gain, but I have dialed it back through the years and am not afraid to try things with less gain.

I'll also add that as the years go on, we all improve in our playing to some extent and eventually realize that the ton of gain is not needed. Now, I still play with a fair amount of gain, but I have dialed it back through the years and am not afraid to try things with less gain.
Definitely agree. I am not saying I don't use a good amount of gain but I have backed off tremendously. Especially for leads and also when I'm putting in work trying to improve my technique or phrasing.

Yesterday I switched to R2 on my Mark IV which is rare and in all honesty it's not what you buy this amp for but I was happy with my tone and found myself enjoying it immensely.

Definitely agree. I am not saying I don't use a good amount of gain but I have backed off tremendously. Especially for leads and also when I'm putting in work trying to improve my technique or phrasing.

Yesterday I switched to R2 on my Mark IV which is rare and in all honesty it's not what you buy this amp for but I was happy with my tone and found myself enjoying it immensely.
One of my goals in the next year is to just plug into my Deluxe Reverb and use a little dirt from a pedal and see how I do.

Cool little amp OP . It'll never take the place of my Spawns but I dig ripping on mine thru a 2x12. I've go the gain backed off a bit and I hit with a SD-1. I don`t go for a really high gain sound but it's there if you want it

Cool little amp OP . It'll never take the place of my Spawns but I dig ripping on mine thru a 2x12. I've go the gain backed off a bit and I hit with a SD-1. I don`t go for a really high gain sound but it's there if you want it
I really want to pull a Beartooth with it and do an OD + EQ into it.

Back