Naylor / Naked / Budda .... anything else?

tonedover

Looking for folks with experience with this general tonal ballpark - the infamous A Perfect Circle Naylor-based metal tone.

Its "the sound" i hear in my head, and my income this year is in such a way to go after it. So i know about the Friedman Naked, the Naylor Duel60 and supposedly the Budda Superdrive series all having this tonal ballpark.

Are there other options out there I should be aware of?

Does anyone have a spec list of the Friedman Naked Custom Shop menu options for this amp?

Any pros of the Naylor over the Friedman? What about the Budda series? is this the "budget" option and how close is it?

Info and experience welcome!

The Budda that I played long ago was dark; almost muffled in a way. The Naylor is Dark-ish but still cuts through with ease. Much better clarity as well; when I wind the SD60 up at volume it sounds somewhat like a dark, tighter version of an SLO. No overbearing midrange though; some think that of an SLO but I'm not in that camp.
The Naylor is in another league compared to a Budda. Dark but yet bright enough; smooth/compressed yet open and raw at the same time; contradictions yes but it's the only way I can describe it. Very touch sensitive as well.
No exp with the Naked; I'd imagine it would depend on the donor amp....the SD60 has a killer power section that blooms like a Wizard or SLO...doesn't push exactly like those but it's not far behind.

The Budda that I played long ago was dark; almost muffled in a way. The Naylor is Dark-ish but still cuts through with ease. Much better clarity as well; when I wind the SD60 up at volume it sounds somewhat like a dark, tighter version of an SLO. No overbearing midrange though; some think that of an SLO but I'm not in that camp.
The Naylor is in another league compared to a Budda. Dark but yet bright enough; smooth/compressed yet open and raw at the same time; contradictions yes but it's the only way I can describe it. Very touch sensitive as well.
No exp with the Naked; I'd imagine it would depend on the donor amp....the SD60 has a killer power section that blooms like a Wizard or SLO...doesn't push exactly like those but it's not far behind.
Did you finally get your Naylor? Did I miss your NAD post?

What are your thoughts on it compared to your old Camerons? I hear alot of Cameron kerrang in the Naylor Duel clips that I have heard.....:2thumbsup:

Did you finally get your Naylor? Did I miss your NAD post?

What are your thoughts on it compared to your old Camerons? I hear alot of Cameron kerrang in the Naylor Duel clips that I have heard.....:2thumbsup:
I did get it; I've been slacking when it comes to NGD posts...I should do a bulk NGD as I've gotten some cool stuff over the past 6 months. The SD60 that I have(finally arrived in July) and the Michigan era 1995 version I had previously both have killer power sections; as good as any vintage Marshall and reminds me of the 50w Wizard I had or the VHT D60 in the push/bloom. If you didn't know it was 60w you'd guess 100w. The pre is very different from a Marshall though..smoother gain and a good bit darker. But, boost it with a nice SD1 or TS variant and there's the Marshall-y flavor. When I push it, kinda gets a sort of darker SLO vibe....not exactly but reminds me in some way. Definitely has a darker kerrang vs a 2204 but it's there. Great feel too.

I did get it; I've been slacking when it comes to NGD posts...I should do a bulk NGD as I've gotten some cool stuff over the past 6 months. The SD60 that I have(finally arrived in July) and the Michigan era 1995 version I had previously both have killer power sections; as good as any vintage Marshall and reminds me of the 50w Wizard I had or the VHT D60 in the push/bloom. If you didn't know it was 60w you'd guess 100w. The pre is very different from a Marshall though..smoother gain and a good bit darker. But, boost it with a nice SD1 or TS variant and there's the Marshall-y flavor. When I push it, kinda gets a sort of darker SLO vibe....not exactly but reminds me in some way. Definitely has a darker kerrang vs a 2204 but it's there. Great feel too.
I'm glad you finally got it! The Naylor's are one of the few amps that still catch my ear which is why I was asking.

The Wizard MCII also catches my ear at times but other times not so much......I'm glad you like your Naylor!:2thumbsup:

I'm still all Marshall across the board here, except for my Fender Bandmaster and Musicman HD130!:dunno:

What’s a sing that has thus signature APC tone . I’m not familiar but would love to hear it

precisely. and that song is in E or D# depending on what tab you look at (i play it in D#), yet the circuit has become a fav of drop / lower tuning players as well.

there are a LOT of tones rattling around in my head, but that one, its one i can never seem to find in any of the many amps ive bought. super open in the mids yet compressed in the highs and lows. great and unique tone!

Ok I do know that song . I’ll listen again . To me that’s how I pictured a Naylor to sound in my mind
It's been awhile... but I believe it's recorded in full step down drop D.. So B, F#....etc.... makes it sound full and thick as hell.. It's also at least double tracked or probably more.... Naylor is a f'n great amp.. research will show.. Im buying one again soon :)

I remember almost buying a Naked years ago, I think it had a purplish head shell with naked carved out if I remember right? Was Friedman making those?

I remember almost buying a Naked years ago, I think it had a purplish head shell with naked carved out if I remember right? Was Friedman making those?
I know it was Friedman making it . I was on a list cut naked 2 but it was so long I had no shot really

I have been after a Naked for a while and haven't been able to find any for sale. I have some schematics of the Naylors, and I know the typical circuit mods Friedman makes. Based on what I know about both, I am pretty confident I could reproduce a very accurate version of the amp myself with some added goodies. If I don't find one within the next few months I'm just going to build the damn thing myself. It's funny that something with a demand like this just isn't available.

The way you describe your SD60 is pretty much spot on to my SD100. The only difference I think is I have a bit more headroom. It's full of contradictions but somehow works perfectly. It's a darker sounding amp but no mud and more than bright enough, it can be raw and aggressive but still smooth and articulate too. The overall tone is completely different from anything else that I've played, but still has certain familiar qualities.
I'm not going to claim it's the be all end all of amps and be perfect for every situation, but it is certainly at the top of the list. There really isn't much else like it out there.

Back