Need Help-->Looking to retube my 08' Soldano Slo100

LanierP

Hey Guys,
I'm looking for both 'Where to buy' and 'What to buy', regarding a full tube set replacement for my 2008 Soldano SLO 100.
I see Eurotubes on Reverb has several JJ 'retube kits' available, with the higher priced 'Gold
pin' option, KT-66 option, the SRV option, etc,,,,
For the record, the stock 5881's that are currently in the amp were great, but they are tired, and showing all the signs of being spent.
Basically, wondering if anyone out there has a good recommendation for a full Retube of my Bone Stock SLO.
Thanks in advance,
Len

If you like what you had… don’t change. In general… change is bad especially if you are old….Like me.

Pre's are probably fine, I wouldn't spend anything more than another set of the Sovtek 5881's. They use them for a reason and really sound great with the SLO line..
This.

I tube rolled in the first SLO I had, from 2002. The Sovtek 5881s sounded best to me, even over a set of Mesa 415s. Tried KT66, didn't care for them. Chinese pre tubes also worked best IMO.

I’ve only tube rolled in my ‘89 SLO (sounds different than the 2000’s SLO’s I’ve had), but I liked best in the pre Tungsram, 2nd place Fivre, 3rd place RFT and ‘50’s Bugle Boys and then the Chinese I’d rank right after. Valvo and Japanese are also quite good in it

For powertubes the default Sovtek 5881’s aren’t bad (the vintage ones sound a bit better), but I liked most of what I tried the various US 5881’s I have (JAN Philips, GE, Tung-Sol, RCA, Sylvania), typically richer/more complex tone imo than 6L6GC’s and less scooped, but I have a feeling my real favorites would be the vintage European 6L6’s when I get around to trying them in it (RFT, west German and pre-Winged C Svetlana and 6L6GC’s, Fivre or Tungsram too if I were to splurge for those lol)

I’ve only tube rolled in my ‘89 SLO (sounds different than the 2000’s SLO’s I’ve had), but I liked best in the pre Tungsram, 2nd place Fivre, 3rd place RFT and ‘50’s Bugle Boys and then the Chinese I’d rank right after. Valvo and Japanese are also quite good in it

For powertubes the default Sovtek 5881’s aren’t bad (the vintage ones sound a bit better), but I liked most of what I tried the various US 5881’s I have (JAN Philips, GE, Tung-Sol, RCA, Sylvania), typically richer/more complex tone imo than 6L6GC’s and less scooped, but I have a feeling my real favorites would be the vintage European 6L6’s when I get around to trying them in it (RFT, west German and pre-Winged C Svetlana and 6L6GC’s, Fivre or Tungsram too if I were to splurge for those lol)
Great info ,,,have a few Bugle boys laying around. I pop them in and see how they sound. 👍🏻

Great info ,,,have a few Bugle boys laying around. I pop them in and see how they sound. 👍🏻
It’s the ‘50’s ones I especially liked (not as much my ‘60’s bugle boys). They have a very chewy, fat, rich, dark leaning flavor, so it depends a bit also if that’s your cup of tea or not.

Tungsram is my preference since it’s more uppermid aggressive, open and punchy, but the other tubes I mentioned (except Chinese) I find rank ahead in overall richness/tonal complexity

Back