Need recommendations for an 8 ohm parallel box

Crunchtime

So, I just got a great new amp, the Mesa JP2c. I currently own three cabs. They include a 16 ohm 4x12, a 16 ohm 2x12, and an 8 ohm Thiele 1x12.

According to Mesa manual if I have an 8 ohm parallel box I can play all of my cabs at once or both 16 ohm cabs. I'd love to try this.

I know nothing of parallel boxes.

Anything I should know? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I think what they mean is just a heavy duty, speaker level 'Y" cable type thing, built into a box with 3 jacks. The 2 - 16 ohm cabs would connect to the 'Y" side of the box, so the 2 cabs would be in parallel @ 8 ohms.
The single jack side of the box would connect to 1 of the 4 ohm outputs on the amp. The other 8 ohm cab would connect to the second 4 ohm output on the amp. The total combined load of all three cabs is now 4 ohms

If you only wanted to use the 2 - 16 ohm cabs, just connect each 16 ohm cab to the "Y" side of the box, and then connect the single jack side of the box to the 8 ohm output on the amp.

With the 2 x 16 ohm cabs plugged into the parallel box, the output of the parallel box is always 8 ohms.
The 8 ohm box in parallel with the 3rd 8 ohm cab gives you a total load of 4 ohms.

Mesa seems to wire most of their cabs at 8 ohms, and they don't make their amps too user friendly for all us guys with a bunch of 16 ohm cabs.

fusedbrain":27wsngyk said:
I think what they mean is just a heavy duty, speaker level 'Y" cable type thing, built into a box with 3 jacks. The 2 - 16 ohm cabs would connect to the 'Y" side of the box, so the 2 cabs would be in parallel @ 8 ohms.
The single jack side of the box would connect to 1 of the 4 ohm outputs on the amp. The other 8 ohm cab would connect to the second 4 ohm output on the amp. The total combined load of all three cabs is now 4 ohms

If you only wanted to use the 2 - 16 ohm cabs, just connect each 16 ohm cab to the "Y" side of the box, and then connect the single jack side of the box to the 8 ohm output on the amp.

With the 2 x 16 ohm cabs plugged into the parallel box, the output of the parallel box is always 8 ohms.
The 8 ohm box in parallel with the 3rd 8 ohm cab gives you a total load of 4 ohms.

Mesa seems to wire most of their cabs at 8 ohms, and they don't make their amps too user friendly for all us guys with a bunch of 16 ohm cabs.

This is the pic from the JP2C manual -

Parallel_Box_-_Correct_Match.jpg

Crunchtime":1fv6p304 said:
fusedbrain":1fv6p304 said:

This is the pic from the JP2C manual -

Parallel_Box_-_Correct_Match.jpg

Yeah, that's it. :thumbsup:

Back