New Amp on the way...

rsm

Just ordered.... thanks to several glasses of Russian Standard vodka :cool:

Russian Standard.jpg

1976 Fender Super Twin. 2x12 Combo, 180W of 6 x 6L6 power!

It's heavy, hope it arrives intact...unlike my Randall RG1503 2x12

edit: I've been watching this for awhile...

Fender Super Twin Reverb_000000119573657-00-600x600.png

Last edited:
Just ordered.... thanks to several glasses of Russian Standard vodka :cool:

View attachment 292916

1976 Fender Super Twin Reverb. 2x12 Combo, 180W of 6 x 6L6 power!

It's heavy, hope it arrives intact...unlike my Randall RG1503 2x12

edit: I've been watching this for awhile...

View attachment 292913
Wow, nice! You are about to join club Twin Reverb. Welcome! That puppy should be incredibly tight and clean I can only imagine the wallop you can lay down with that bad boy. Marshall nothin.....Congrats.

What kinda speakers is loaded in there? Can recommend Tung Sols if you need tubes! Tight and clean like a good woman hahaha.

Reactions: rsm
Wow, nice! You are about to join club Twin Reverb. Welcome! That puppy should be incredibly tight and clean I can only imagine the wallop you can lay down with that bad boy. Marshall nothin.....Congrats.

What kinda speakers is loaded in there? Can recommend Tung Sols if you need tubes! Tight and clean like a good woman hahaha.
From what I found, they originally had Fender branded Pyle speakers. No idea what's in it.

I wanted a clean tube amp with headroom, and was considering a SSS (Steel String Singer) clone and found the Super Twin for a much better price.

edit: also, it's a Super Twin, not a Super Twin Reverb. I don't use reverb at all, usually.

Last edited:
Well the morning after brings clarity...looking forward to this amp even more, without the Russian Standard vodka influence.

The concern is shipping, and if it's still there when the store opens. I've been burned several times ordering something online from a store only to be told it was sold in-store before they updated the online listings

edit: shipping label created! looks like I got it. Hope it survives shipping

Last edited:
out for delivery today.

I hope it survives UPS. I mean it was packed by the experts employed at a GC store.

what could go wrong? /s

Scary! :scared:

Good news is the amp works and it sounds great. GC even protected all the corners with styrofoam blocks, put the power tubes
in a thick shipping tube, and removed and wrapped the caster wheels.

I don't see these often, so I plan to keep it. It has the original Fender labeled Pyle speakers too, just real dusty. Even have the footswitch and owners manual!

I have two different hums to track down:

1) when the amp is on, all volume is down, nothing connected to the input.
2) when guitar is plugged into the input and the master is at 5 or higher.

I may contact a local amp tech, probably can use a new set of power tubes, and I haven't checked the preamp tubes or Active EQ tube

I'm guessing it's probably due for caps? I'm no amp tech. I don't even play one on rig talk.

Sorry for the shipping disaster. It looks fixable, minuse the tolex, with wood glue and some long clamps. I wonder if that chassis fits in a mojotone cabinet? Seems like it would.

Tung Sols should make that baby cleaner than country water, clear as mountain dew.

Reactions: rsm
Good news is the amp works and it sounds great. GC even protected all the corners with styrofoam blocks, put the power tubes
in a thick shipping tube, and removed and wrapped the caster wheels.

I don't see these often, so I plan to keep it. It has the original Fender labeled Pyle speakers too, just real dusty. Even have the footswitch and owners manual!

I have two different hums to track down:

1) when the amp is on, all volume is down, nothing connected to the input.
2) when guitar is plugged into the input and the master is at 5 or higher.

I may contact a local amp tech, probably can use a new set of power tubes, and I haven't checked the preamp tubes or Active EQ tube
As VonBonfire said, it probably needs new filter caps unless they look new or you know they were changed recently. If the caps that are usually under a metal cover on top of the amp chassis look like old reddish brown paper wrappings around the cap then they are original and need to be changed anyway.

Sorry about the cabinet damage but you should be able to re-glue the joint. When you guys post all these pics of shipping damage it only reinforces my decision to not ship these days.

Last edited:
Even with the hums, it sounds great. That first chord convinced me to keep it, and get it back to normal!

Traveling for work the next few weeks, so may take awhile.

Also need to see if I can find serial numbers on the transformers, etc, don't want any major parts being swapped out. Trust is earned.

I'll get it into a tech. Power tubes look original, Fender branded 6L6GC USA

Back