New Guthrie Govan "Antique" Signature Model

Tone Zone

Banned
Suhr has released yet another Guthrie Govan signature model: Guthrie Govan Antique Modern

You can view more pics here: http://gallery.me.com/suhrguitars#10159 ... &view=grid

GuthrieGovanAntiqueModern.jpg

SpecSheet.jpg

Here is a snippet I lifted from another website where Ed Yoon of Suhr Guitars and Amps, remarks on this model:

The story behind this new and latest Guthrie Signature is that during our clinic tours when Guthrie gets to try out and demo lots of different Suhr guitars, he would always comment about how nice certain guitars are and I noticed a pattern. He always seemed to like either Custom guitars with Basswood/Maple body with Maple neck or the Pro Series S4. He wouldn't know what woods these guitars had as he'd just pick 'em up and play 'em but I noticed that this combination would always float his boat. Of course, this wood combination is also what John refers to as the "Holy Grail".

He also loved virtually every Antique guitar he'd get his hands on and commented about how they really felt and sounded like good old vintage guitars but with much better playability. This is all something I've noticed over the past couple of years doing clinics with him. Another comment he had made about his two Mahogany Signature guitars (as well as the Mahogany body/neck Standard he got back in '05) is that the necks weren't quite as stable as the Maple neck guitars he had. He understood that Mahogany is just not as dense and stable as Maple and just accepted that he'd have to make truss rod adjustments whenever he ended up in a new city with a sudden change in climate conditions.

So with these things in mind, I proposed the specs of this guitar to him and he was immediately intrigued. This guitar just sounds HUGE with this wood combination, the thin and aged nitro-cellulose lacquer finish by J Black, the Roasted Maple neck, and the 510 bridge 2-post with the vintage-style bent saddles. Everyone here was struck by how great it sounded acoustically. Again, it's another example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Amazing guitar. Guthrie is going to love this one and it will be the perfect complement to his other Mahogany Signature guitars.

You can order the Antique body with the color of your choice with different specs if you'd like. This model doesn't mean that you'd have to order it to get the features of this particular guitar. Artists' signature model guitars are just Custom guitars spec'd out and built for artists like anyone else. I think they serve more as reference points to give you guys some ideas about spec'ing out your own Custom guitars. That being said, this particular combination of features is really hip and, ultimately, what matters is how it sounds and plays and this guitar really delivers on that end.

You know I'm generally against relicing a modern style guitar but in this case the guitar just feels like a great pair of old jeans. This does have our satin on the neck instead of lacquer.
I have to say this guitar really rings like $$$$
It sounds like money and is a joy to play.

Suhr":28tgzd6e said:
You know I'm generally against relicing a modern style guitar but in this case the guitar just feels like a great pair of old jeans. This does have our satin on the neck instead of lacquer.
I have to say this guitar really rings like $$$$
It sounds like money and is a joy to play.

thanks for telling me this... I need another modern! :rock:

I must admit I wasn't fully sold on this right away... but as I took a few days to look at it with fresh eyes, it's really growing on me! I bet the wood choice combo sounds sweet (It IS John's "Holy Grail" pick after all) and in Guthrie's hands that guitar shall create a barrage of amazing music! It just makes me all the more excited for my own basswood/maple/maple Modern to arrive in six or so months' time.

Back