New owner of the cae 3+SE preamp

lessarti

Hey,

I just wanted to express my excitement of acquiring a 2008 CAE3+SE preamp, it is amazing and i really am digging this thing!! It's running into a vht 2502 on one side through a bogner OS2x12 w/ V30's. VERY nice sounding, clean ch 1 is everything i wanted for cleans blackface etc. CH 2 is overdriven plexi, so huge and thick sounding and CH 3 is that famous searing lead tone that has such rich harmonics! Very modern-ish sound and incredible. It has joined the fish re-issue in the 4 space rack while the vht sits in its own gator tour case 2 space.

Anyways just thought i'd share my gearslut joy. This thing rips!! I think i actually like it better than the fish (all 3 channels are amazing where the fish is kind of 2 really good channels and 2 ok/avg) since it is a bit tighter, very huge 3 d sounding.

+2 on the Mesa Simul Two Ninety. I too own a 3+SE preamp and John himself suggested if I'm not using one of my OD100 heads, use the Mesa Power amp.

Try your own combinations... I bet it would be ridiculous through an Engl 850 power amp.

Best rhythm tone I have had is GP3 pre through a Mesa 2:100. All that uber tightness Fryette is known for, with the sag and thump of the Mesa power section. That's the best thing about racks, is mixing up the different sections for different flavors.

Hey, I am surprised to see so much emphasis on the 2:90 power amp, the vht2502 slays and i cannot imagine it sounding better to my ears. I LOVE the el34 sound, the mesa being 6l6's i am not too sure... If i seen a used 2:90 for sale i'd be tempted to get it and compare no doubt!

FWIW I used to own a mesa 2:50 power amp with el34's, it was ok but it coloured the tone too much when i tried it with the Fish. So if the 2:90 colours the sound in a similar fashion then i don't think i "click" or "gel" with Mesa power amps.

:)

I had it on today, i swear i think i like the cae3+SE better than the Fish guys... i must be crazy...

2nd channel is so "cranked plexi" i am amazed how good it really sounds! Very marshally.
3rd channel is so "over the top modded marshall on steroids" gain and liquid tone! So impressed with this rig.. the clean is amazing too. I've got bright switches on for ch1&2, IF ch3 bright is engaged i find i need to back off the treble down to about 3 or 10 o clock but it sounds bitch'n with it for more of an aggressive tight metal tone!

I'd like to make some "decent" clips as every time i use the vid camcorder it doesn't do it justice.

The Fish has a nice clean but cae has gain choice for the clean channel. Brown channel slays though regardless.

Attachments

• P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 3,847
I've been thinking about that Brown channel and using my 3+SE for most things but switching to the Bogner just for the Brown channel. The 2k price tag makes that seem sort of out of reach for me at the moment, but never say never...
Are you able to switch between preamps with your rig lessarti?

No i am not able to ToneAddict, it would be crazy though!!

I agree the price for the fish, being very high dollars :doh: (new & used) and its hype, due to being so rare. The Brown is huge sounding no doubt. It's a friggin' dream to be playing this stuff to be honest, i am grateful. I used to imagine one day trying these out, let alone owning one of them. :rock:

I am a big Megadeth fan and i find those fish-like tones on Rust in Peace..(A.I.C ofcourse and countless others on albums etc) and CAE tones on Countdown/Youthasia albums were pretty amazing.

Back