New Renegade 212 Owner Today - Questions

dgaemc2

Hi all,

I purchased a Renegade 212 combo today and LOVE the sounds that I am achieving out of both channels. However, unfortunately, I am having a problem with the foot controller. The effects, reverb and boost functions only reliably work in channel 1. Yes, I do have all toggles on the footswitch set to "both". This problem doesn't happen all the time, and in fact, did not happen at all today at GC when I auditioned the amp. It was a floor mode...and I did tell the salesman that I really wanted a NIB amp. The salesman told me I can just play it until he is able to receive a new in box amp so that is not a problem at all. I know that he will make it right for me, but I am concerned that I am already experiencing a problem with the footswitch. In fact, the footswitching features were a big selling point to me along with the great sounds that this amp produces.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Please advise....as I really love the sound of this amp and hope that my problem is rare!

Thanks for the reply just42dave.

I am sure it isn't a tube problem as it sounds amazing. I suppose it could be the foot controller, but I would think that would be problematic for both channels. The foot controller works flawlessly in channel 1....and sometimes it even works in channel 2, but it is clearly not functioning properly. :(

I probably will just replace it with a NIB amp, but would like to hear from others if they have experienced a similar problem with any of their Renegades....whether it be the 112, 212, 410 or head?

I am a complete newbie to Egnater amps. In fact, this is the first Egnater I have even played through. I own many other combo amps, and usually prefer the 112 combo. However, I am blown away by the great sounds I am achieving from the 212. The 212 was the only Renegade Combo in the store I visited today....so was not able to try the 112.

I mentioned this to the GC salesman (whom I have purchased tons of gear over the years) and he said that I could opt for a NIB 112 (with price adjustment) or the NIB 212.

My question should probably be posted in a separate post, but what the heck here goes. Can anybody provide me with their prefered combo (112 vrs 212) of the Renegade after having a chance to play through both of them?

Also, please provide me with feedback regarding the footswitching problem that I have experienced. It would make me feel much more comfortable with my final decision to purchase this amp if I see several posters saying....."No....I haven't experienced those types of problems"! Please let me know either way.

Thanks in advance!

Ian Egnater pops in here every other day or so. I am sure he will be able to help. Or just email Egnater.

Had my Renegade head since June, haven't had any problems with my foot switch or anything else...

Had mine since may w/no issues.

Obvious ideas but are you f.s. cables plugged in all the way. Pull them out and push them all the way back in. ...and make sure they're in the right jacks... :D

Otherwise, get a new one when you can.

Thanks guys.

It is good to hear that my problem footswitch problem seems to be rare. BTW...yes, I did check that it was plugged in fully and correctly several times. I suspect it to be a poor sodder joint in the amp since it always works correctly in channel 1 and occassionally in channel 2.

Regardless, I plan to have GC order me a new one.....I am just not sure which combo (112 or 212). I love the sounds I am getting out of the 212, but prefer the lighter weight of the 112 and with the control knobs on the front panel. However, the 212 design would lend itself for better cooling of the tubes as since they are sideways....the heat from them will naturally vent better through the top vent. BTW......I have seen several posts regarding high fan noise in the Renegade, however, I didn't hear ANY fan noise from mine. I pulled off the cover plate....and noticed the fan wasn't working. Probably not as big a deal with the 212 design for the reasons I mentioned above.

I will say the reverb sounds very nice to me when set low.....so that seems to have been sorted out.

I am leaning toward a NIB 112 combo rather than the 212 mainly due to weight, but do hope that I am not disappointed with the sound of the 112 compared to the 212. I have heard great sample clips from both on Youtube, but it is really difficult to fully appreciate an amp until you play though it with your guitar(s).

All opinions are welcome and would be appreciated!

Welcome ;) !I have a Renegade head.No problem whatsoever with the footswitch here .I think you're the 1° to have that problem...About the 2x12 or 1x12,you really have to chose by yourself.2x12 will sound bigger,i guess ,but you better try it first...

Thanks viking22! :D
I wish I could try a 112 before making a final decision, but can't seem to find one in my area.
Based on the excellent comments on this forum for all Renegades....I doubt that either one would be a bad choice! :LOL: :LOL:

I agree with you about the front mounted controls. It was a huge factor for me in getting the Tourmaster. Also, you can see where things are set! I had a Mesa Rectoverb 50 with front mounted controls for years. Beautiful chrome knobs, but you couldn't see where anything was set! It drove me nuts!

Up to me, I would stick with the 2 X12. Sound is more important than anything else. You will also get more perceived volume out of it.

:rock:

Sorry to hear you are having an issue with the foot switch. Honestly, if the store is willing to make things right with you and give you a brand new amp, I would take that option and let them handle the service of the pedal with us. Glad to hear you enjoying the amp otherwise though!

Thanks everybody!

Gotta love it when you go to a forum with very helpful posts. Also, I am very impressed that Bruce and Ian chime in as well. It is most appreciated and actually surprising to me compared to other brand "xyz" amplifier companies! Truly stellar customer support! :thumbsup:

Back