New Star build

SpiderWars

This one is going to take a little extra time to dial in but here's a pic of the initial mock up. The nut needs all kinds of work to get it playing right, it's way high and a little offset which is disappointing. Butala Alder body, Black Cherry finish, Musikraft Maple/Rosewood neck (Truoil on the Maple), 12" radius, jumbo frets, Gotoh mini tuners, Black-nickel hardware, Jalen Hybrid pickup, EVH pot. Still waiting on the black-nickel strap buttons (I'm going to try it the way Chubtone does it using the neck mounting bolt) and a black-nickel mounting ring and knob. I chose a white pickup with black poles/screws when I had a different color in mind and wasn't sure I'd like it with this color scheme. What do you think? Would black look better? I have a black Duncan Hybrid but it has their damn name all over it which I think would look like shit on that guitar. Maybe I could black it out.

8lbs 2oz
IMG_20220204_055236.jpg

I had a guy make a waterslide decal and I put it under several coats of clear.
IMG_20220204_055253.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty damn cool. The white pickup looks okay, but I think a black one would look better.
It'll take a little bit of work and time but you can use some polish to buff the duncan logo off your black pickup and not mess up the bobbin. This assumes you have glossy pickup bobbin to start with.

Not the best video, but this is the basics of it.

Have you ever played a Warmoth body? If so I'd be curious what you think in terms of that vs Butala...I also am reaaaaaallly itching to build a Star partscaster and as far as I know those two companies are the only two that have a Star as an option.

Have you ever played a Warmoth body? If so I'd be curious what you think in terms of that vs Butala...I also am reaaaaaallly itching to build a Star partscaster and as far as I know those two companies are the only two that have a Star as an option.
No I haven't played a Warmoth Star. This one has a small belly cut and the neck mounts with ferrules in an irregular pattern and the neck joint is curved and slightly rounded.

Got some parts.

IMG-20220212-125454.jpg

IMG-20220212-125823.jpg

No neck dive! It balances perfectly...I'm sofa king happy about that.

This nut is taking forever to file down. But here's a pic with the new pickup ring and knob...and also a black pickup. I decided to take it out in the sun to show the slight chameleon effect. It looks pretty much black in certain lighting and at certain angles.

IMG_20220212_131606__01.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! My bass player started a guitar company and I’m having a Star built

Attachments

• 09721BB0-5F69-4389-8E97-5144D1CCA4F5.png
    09721BB0-5F69-4389-8E97-5144D1CCA4F5.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 39
Last few pics of the front all strung up. Nut is still too tall but I wanted to set everything else up right fast and play it. I'm done messing with it for this weekend. It plays great and all the strings ring out with no sitar so it doesn't look like I'll be fighting that.

IMG_20220213_094951__01__01.jpg

You have to look for it but that metal humbucker ring is stacked on top of the original plastic black ring. The metal ring is even shorter than a regular short ring and having a top-mount Floyd that's just not tall enough. So I reluctantly tried it thinking it would look stupid af but you really have to be looking for it to see it. Its about the perfect height.
IMG_20220213_092921.jpg

IMG_20220213_093157.jpg

Last edited:
That fiddle look great Spider! Love the hockey stick neck! :2thumbsup:Luv the color... it's classy!

Over the years after paying many different radius necks and compound radius the one that I kept coming back to is the standard 12" radius is where I just feel at home. All my guitars now are 12" except one which is 10" and that's tolerable but I wish is was 12"....

Back