New video clip link within: Wizard MTL 2011 50 watt head!

Sounds great. The mids seemed higher than I remember the MTL having. Are you still holding on to the MCII?

Sounds great. The mids seemed higher than I remember the MTL having. Are you still holding on to the MCII?
Thanks, and yes, I really really gave time to what each knob does and its affect to frequencies before tweaking. So the Mid knob REALLY changes drastically in its Q band it seems from 11am to Noon, goes from mid scoopy to broadened flat line, then anywhere from Noon to 1pm starts to notch some mid frequencies back in. I found a 'magic' area around 2 O'clock where it just seems to go from notched high Q to lower Q broadband midrange boost, it really gave raw marshally sound back in it, and the Treble knob is very similar when past noon.

So you are correct, the mids seem higher than you may remember because i've kind of dialed them back in to sound similar to the MC as far as cut. I still have my MC II, it has that high mid harmonically sonic sound that is different and great. The MTL just has that sat knob for compression options and lower mid voicing.

Hope this help.

Interesting. The mid voicing is what makes me stick with the MC’s and shy away from MTL. Though after your video and explanation I’m rethinking my stance on the matter. The sat feature is a very cool feature but I don’t miss it on the MCII.

Interesting. The mid voicing is what makes me stick with the MC’s and shy away from MTL. Though after your video and explanation I’m rethinking my stance on the matter. The sat feature is a very cool feature but I don’t miss it on the MCII.
Yeah man, it is interesting indeed, I had a MTL before yrs ago but this time around I really gave it a chance understanding the eq and how it shapes. I couldn't believe it when experimenting, once that mid knob was up at 6 or 7 it went from mild scooped sound to more aggressive mids. I don't mind the overall voicing, but don't like mids below noon because of it so accentuated it further because i am finicky.

You still got that W800 ?

Yeah man, it is interesting indeed, I had a MTL before yrs ago but this time around I really gave it a chance understanding the eq and how it shapes. I couldn't believe it when experimenting, once that mid knob was up at 6 or 7 it went from mild scooped sound to more aggressive mids. I don't mind the overall voicing, but don't like mids below noon because of it so accentuated it further because i am finicky.

You still got that W800 ?
Cool. Yeah I should really give the MTL another crack. I usually have my mids on the MC II up around 6 or 7 so I’d probably start there anyway’s.

Sold the W800 to VHTStark on the forum. I miss it though. It was a fun amp for sure.

Cool. Yeah I should really give the MTL another crack. I usually have my mids on the MC II up around 6 or 7 so I’d probably start there anyway’s.

Sold the W800 to VHTStark on the forum. I miss it though. It was a fun amp for sure.
Yeah def give it a shot.

As far as MC II settings: I tend to have the mids around 5 to 6 and treble 6 to 7 with brightness at like 6 to 7 depending on my mood. Contour around 6. Gain is up 7 to 8 though as I like aggressive stuff. I do kinda wish the MC II had a Sat knob but then that would be the newer hybridized amp.

I would have loved to try your W800 but when I read up about it having less gain than the MC II it made me stay away.

I guess to try and explain as a direct comparison of the two amps (MCII and MTL). If you bump the mids up on the MTL it is kinda like the contour on the MC II as it shifts a broad shelf of mids upwards in the eq.

Rick can do a shift mod on the treble control which to my ears adds saturation and Kerrang to my ears. Basically updating the MCII to 2023 specks. He did that for my old 2016 MC 1.

The W800 did have less gain. I did not miss it personally but I can understand some players needing it depending on style. It was pretty aggressive still even though it wasn’t as gained out.

That makes sense in the comparison’s. So it’s a different flavour of bumped mids. Which is ideal so you won’t have overlap.

Back