NGD Charvel Content

threadkiller

This came in 2 days ago. Bought it from forum member Padre Bonic. I think he had it on the classifieds for about 30 seconds before I pulled the trigger :LOL: :LOL: It's a USA ProMod but has a lot of upgrades, including the kick ass paint job. I basically plugged it in Monday and made sure everything worked then got going on tuning it down 1/2 a step for band practice the next night. Took it to practice last night and it was a hit. I was really pleased at the tone from the Super Distortions. Guess you can't mess with the classics. I've had a little tuning instability but I think it's probably because of all the adjustments I had to make in a hurry. Starting to settle in a little now. Not sold on the D-tuna yet. I like the idea but when I drop it to D flat then take it back up to E flat/standard tuning it is close but not quite there, which really bothers my ear. Then I run out of adjustment on the set screw. Anyway, I am going to let it settle in from the shipping and tuning/setup adjustments and if it doesn't straighten out the D-tuna is coming off of there. To me, close but not quite in tune sucks. Any suggestions for getting the D-tuna to behave are welcome. I went to the EVH site and watched a few videos on how to set it up. Overall, really pleased with the guitar. Fretwork is outstanding.

This used to be mine. Great guitar that always sounded good. He did make quite a few modifications to it, including the dTuna, brass knob and the DiMarzios (used to be Seymour Duncan like the ProMod). Great axe.

I found out recently that EVH Dtunas are made to drop the string while in STANDARD tuning (which makes no sense since EVH was mostly a half step down). So if you're in Eb and want to drop the E string to Db then you're gonna run into that issue with the set screw. There's an adjustment you can make to the screw but it involves shaving it or something like that...

I'm wondering if taking out the shim between the brass block and the back of the trem (as per Adam Reivers recommendation)has anything to do with it? I always kept this one in dropped-D so I didn't do much going back and forth. I do still have the shim and I will send it out to you when I get home.

Killer Charvel! I have D-Tunas on three of mine and on all of them I have to adjust the fine tuners a little when using the D-Tuna. Doesn't bother me too much, just make sure there is enough adjustment on the fine tuner before locking the nut.

evhfan":2dtxwaa1 said:
I found out recently that EVH Dtunas are made to drop the string while in STANDARD tuning (which makes no sense since EVH was mostly a half step down). So if you're in Eb and want to drop the E string to Db then you're gonna run into that issue with the set screw. There's an adjustment you can make to the screw but it involves shaving it or something like that...

This makes little sense to me. :no:
EVH was always in Eb

If you have a newer D-tuna, the ones with evh etched on the body I quoted an old post. May be the problem you are having.

H Golf Sport":34554zh8 said:
kissmyace":34554zh8 said:
A lot of the D-Tuna's that didn't come on the Wolfgangs had a bur on the inside of teh part that you pull out. Check it & if its not smooth, file it or dremmel it smooth.

This. If every thing is set to dive only etc.
I had a few I had to file. Look where spring and locking bolt slide back and forth in silver piece. The inner surface of the silver barrel may have casting marks or excessive/sloppy plating. Take a needle file and touch up until smooth and bolt spring can slide back and forth without hanging up. Remember with string tension any drag or catching will be greatly amplified.
Other than that small set screw backed out and tuning screw backed out and then screwed in till just touching bolt. Maybe 1 turn.
Easy one you get the hang of it. Trem must have no upward pull at all.
Hope this solves it.
Aloha, Rob.

H Golf Sport":1vtpjhx6 said:
If you have a newer D-tuna, the ones with evh etched on the body I quoted an old post. May be the problem you are having.

H Golf Sport":1vtpjhx6 said:
kissmyace":1vtpjhx6 said:
A lot of the D-Tuna's that didn't come on the Wolfgangs had a bur on the inside of teh part that you pull out. Check it & if its not smooth, file it or dremmel it smooth.

This. If every thing is set to dive only etc.
I had a few I had to file. Look where spring and locking bolt slide back and forth in silver piece. The inner surface of the silver barrel may have casting marks or excessive/sloppy plating. Take a needle file and touch up until smooth and bolt spring can slide back and forth without hanging up. Remember with string tension any drag or catching will be greatly amplified.
Other than that small set screw backed out and tuning screw backed out and then screwed in till just touching bolt. Maybe 1 turn.
Easy one you get the hang of it. Trem must have no upward pull at all.
Hope this solves it.
Aloha, Rob.

Thanks. This one has EVH etched on the top. I can gently pull up on the bar and there is no noticeable movement that I can feel or see but the pitch does raise just a small bit (microtones). I may need to back out the trem block a smidge, plus I'll try the shim under the tremolo. I wouldn't mind having to make a small adjustment after using it, but so far after 1 or 2 uses I'm out of adjustment on the adjustment screw. It's pretty consistent. Always flat. My fine tuner is all the way backed out and is touching the bolt like that so I didn't turn it in any.

H Golf Sport":35uw33ch said:
That's not right. The Dtuna will work fine in Eb. I have several in that tuning.

it will "work"...yes...

but you'll run into the issue the original poster is having

It is blocked to dive only but I may need to adjust the blocking piece as I can hear a very small rise in pitch if I pull up on the bar a little even though I can't really see any movement occur.

Back