NGD: Jeff Beck Strat in surf green

fek

Always have been an LP guy but in a bit of a rut and needed to mix it up a bit. No good pics yet but, spent the weekend with the JB strat into a modded JCM800 2203X. Very cool guitar! Not sure if it is keeper yet but that rationalization is not because of the guitar, but more on the player. Long time LP user with some super strats tossed in the mix. I have had strats and tele's as well but it has been a while since I had one on hand.

Pros: - The neck feels great! Took me a minute to get used to the 9.5 radius though. Makes the string spacing feel more narrow to me than a LP.
- Strings feel slinky and very nice under the fingers. Very easy to play.
- Tuning is stable even with heavy trem use. The combo of the roller nut, locking tuners, and bridge works as advertised.
- Pickups are noise free even under heavy gain. Had to roll the bridge tone down a notch or two to keep that position from being too bright but that is a common trick. I don't have any other single coil guitars on hand for comparison but the pickups sound great to me.
- Looks great. Dark rosewood board and love the surf green finish.

Cons: - Volume knob placement straight up pisses me off. Not sure that I will be able to get used to that and I don't want to mod the guitar to move it down a spot in case I decide to sell it in the near future.
- Middle pickups get in my way. Had to lower the middle pickup as far down as possible.

Overall, very cool guitar that feels better than I expected. The only cons I have are based on what I am used to and not the guitar itself. If you are a strat player then I can't thing of a better example of a somewhat affordable USA strat that will get the job done.

Attachments

• Strat and LP's web.jpg
    Strat and LP's web.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 31
If you don't like the volume knob location, you can always order another pickguard without the control holes drilled and put them where you are more comfortable with. Then just toss the orginal in the case for resale. I'm also with you on middle pickups. I have to lower them down pretty far as well.

Back