No RT love for "Unstoppable Momentum"?

Rogue

I think it's one if the best Satch CDs in a while, and I liked Wormhole Wizards. The quirky side of Satch, which I like. Anyone listening?

fuzzyguitars":2qjj9d8m said:
I like it

It grows on you.

thats kind of how i feel about most of satch's stuff, some of its just incredible right off the bat, but majority of it just grows on me the more i listen to it. i feel like everytime i listen to it, i hear something new, what an incredible player that guy!

I went out and got this album as soon as it was released, and I was not all that impressed. For some reason, I seem to like every other album he releases. Loved the last one.

To me this one sounds flat and repetitive. Maybe he ran out of tunes writing for Hagar and Anthony

My favorites are:
Not of this Earth
Surfing With the Alien
Flying in a Blue Dream
Crystal Planet
The Extremist
Super Colossal
Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards

Flying in a Blue Dream was IMO the best album he has ever done, some of the best writing. His dad passed during the recording of that album, it was very inspired.

The first time I went through it, it was a little strange, but I remember hearing some really great melodic parts and cool sounding riffs here and there. I was pretty busy at work so I just listened to it over and over again. Next thing I know I'm away from the computer and I'm hearing stuff stuck in my head.

There's a few songs that I don't care much for, but overall I find a lot of stuff I like a lot. Right now tha riff in "Jumping Out" is stuck in my head.

5150clone":3c9llhhb said:
Im probably in the minority here but i love the last 10 years of his career the most.

+1

His early material is grown long in the tooth for me. Personally, I really like Unstoppable Momentum. I have listed to it quite a bit. Like all of his releases he has throwaway tunes on every release but I think this one has several tunes that are really good.

In the growing-on camp.

Come to realize what the other players bring is just as important & the latest studio incarnation kills.

I stopped getting new stuff from "guitar heros" in 2001 I guess, Satriani's Live In San Francisco and Vai's Alive In An Ultra World pretty much marked the end of my instrumental rock-heavy period

I like it! Sounds great. Liked the last album as well. I've been listening to him since he started releasing albums so it's great to see him continuing to release new material. I much rather listen to this than some of the other crap (not all of it is bad....) that comes out these days.

:)

I like the album, it sounds like a more mature person growing older, knowing he could shred your face off, but keeping restrained for the song. My favorite song for some reason is cant go back, it's a fun song to learn. Not to hard to learn, but has a great simple melody. I'm 46 yrs old, and I have been turned off to guitar heroes forever, but this album has grown on me. The other guitar hero record I got was the Pete thorn solo record.

I enjoy craftsmanship of a good song, crap I like the ventures simple melodies as well. This album sounds similar to me even though there is a lot of dirt on it. Nothing wrong with enjoying something different for a change. In the the deep ocean of ultra high gain bands out there, it's nice to here an album that gets better and better the more you hear the intricate ness of it as you listen at different aspects of it. That's my opinion of it any way.

I really like this cd. It sounds like Joe was having a lot of fun on it. It's a nice mix of straight forward rock, some fantastic melodies, some experimental stuff, with some shredding Joe here and there showing he's still got the chops.

Exciting stuff. I hope he keeps the guys he's got on future works.

Engines of Creation was the last Satriani I loved. That's probably my favorite album of all time. He used to take chances. I think that album underperformed, and he has played it safe ever since.

Back