NOT MINE - Mesa 2 C+ on reverb.

i've had em all several times over in the 2000's. every stripe 3, every variation IIb (coli's, loop modded, loop modded colis), every config c+ (never had an export tranny tho...not gunna loose sleep)c++'s, every color stripe III, 3 coli III's, half a dozen of each variation of the mark IV including the transition. always came back to a IVa, which i still own.
The IVa is a beast of an amp. I always find myself gravitating towards it or my IIC+/++'s when I have an itch to play a Mark.

BTW asked Mike about the IVb transitional model. He said there are only 2 IV circuits A & B.

The whole transitional model can be chalked up to using leftover transformers & faceplates from the IVa.

@JimAnsell Quick question: I've yet to play a IVb. What are the tonal differences between it and the IVa?

He said there are only 2 IV circuits A & B.

The whole transitional model can be chalked up to using leftover transformers & faceplates from the IVa.

@JimAnsell Quick question: I've yet to play a IVb. What are the tonal differences between it and the IVa?

i thought the back pannel on the "Transition" model was unique to itself because it had the fixed power cord, but the new loop.
Also there is supposed to be some difference in the phase inverter circuit. i haven't looked at all 3 side by side to know myself, but i've seen it mentioned fwiw.
I found the mark IVa to be more raw in the feel of all 3 channels really, and have a more blackface like reverb. everything feels and sounds tighter and more compressed on a IVb to me, and the reverb is just more bland for lack of better term. Then same basic flavor is there, but i've compared them back to back many times over the years, and that was my main conclusion. If you play more modern metal, you might like the B better. I play a lot of 80's style rock/metal so i like the IVa better.

I have the same interpretation on the differences between the IVa and IVb. Personal preference was for the IVa for the reasons you cited.

Glad I’m over the 2C+ hype. 🤣
Same, I owned one back in 2005/2006. Wicker and bubinga. Really good sounding head with it's own thing going on, but I was living in Austin at the time and went to the local shop and played a Bogner 101B...put the IIC+ for sale the next day. I think i'd paid $1700 for it from a member on HCAF. It's a cool sounding head and all but it's moved well into collector's pricing/diminishing tonal returns territory.

It is great but I truly love justice and black album tones most
Not me, Justice is close but I just love the more organic quality of MOP. AJFA is a little cold sounding. Also, the Black Album sounds great as a whole but I wish the tone was a little more in your face, ya know?? maybe the guitars just need to be turned up louder??

i've had em all several times over in the 2000's. every stripe 3, every variation IIb (coli's, loop modded, loop modded colis), every config c+ (never had an export tranny tho...not gunna loose sleep)c++'s, every color stripe III, 3 coli III's, half a dozen of each variation of the mark IV including the transition. always came back to a IVa, which i still own.
Ya I love the Mark IV, I prefer the IVb by a little bit, it's just a tad more aggressive sounding to my ears vs the smoother sounding IVa... I've played through a few of them and owned two and the one mid 90's IVb I own now has that extra bit more mojo to it. I also find the Rev B a bit brighter sounding and this has been confirmed by Mike B... I know the general consensus is that the Rev A is brighter, but it's not. To be honest the differences are very slight, you'll have a great amp which ever revision you choose.

Not me, Justice is close but I just love the more organic quality of MOP. AJFA is a little cold sounding. Also, the Black Album sounds great as a whole but I wish the tone was a little more in your face, ya know?? maybe the guitars just need to be turned up louder??
They are way to quiet . That’s definitely a problem . See I like justice most because I prefer tones that are super unique. My ears live shit that’s not like others . We’ve heard the same tones all the time . Like I love dimes tone on cowboys and vulgar and trendkill .fear factory. Tones alot of people think are weird are my favorites . I didn’t even realize people thought these times were bad lol . But to me I wanna hear something sculpted very different

i thought the back pannel on the "Transition" model was unique to itself because it had the fixed power cord, but the new loop.
Also there is supposed to be some difference in the phase inverter circuit. i haven't looked at all 3 side by side to know myself, but i've seen it mentioned fwiw.
I found the mark IVa to be more raw in the feel of all 3 channels really, and have a more blackface like reverb. everything feels and sounds tighter and more compressed on a IVb to me, and the reverb is just more bland for lack of better term. Then same basic flavor is there, but i've compared them back to back many times over the years, and that was my main conclusion. If you play more modern metal, you might like the B better. I play a lot of 80's style rock/metal so i like the IVa better.
Ya, you described them pretty close, the rev B is tighter (turn the bass control up a bit to match the rev A tightness if you want) and I find the Rev A smoother sounding, more C+ like. But the Rev B is capable of getting a little brighter and more aggressive if need be. Also the compression level is a little less on the A, but it's not a big difference at all. I find both amps sound like Mark IV's, you know what I mean? They both sound excellent.

They are way to quiet . That’s definitely a problem . See I like justice most because I prefer tones that are super unique. My ears live shit that’s not like others . We’ve heard the same tones all the time . Like I love dimes tone on cowboys and vulgar and trendkill .fear factory. Tones alot of people think are weird are my favorites . I didn’t even realize people thought these times were bad lol . But to me I wanna hear something sculpted very different
Ya me too, I'm the same as far as unique tones go, I love Dime's tone on all of the records, that's as aggressive as it gets IMO. Puppets was the first album to really showcase that unique sound of the IIC+, but it's also very organic and bouncy sounding, can't explain it really, but I love it.

Ya me too, I'm the same as far as unique tones go, I love Dime's tone on all of the records, that's as aggressive as it gets IMO. Puppets was the first album to really showcase that unique sound of the IIC+, but it's also very organic and bouncy sounding, can't explain it really, but I love it.
It’s great . I still love it but I just like the others . That Jose on top of the 2c++ is perfect on wolf and man and through the never. If it was mixed louder it would help . I’m not into the nose sound myself but with the 2c++ I think that’s the tone

got to play the VII today at GC Hollywood. through an epiphone LP and wasn’t cranking it but cool amp with wide range of versatility. pushed cleans were fun for chords for double stop/bluesy melodic playing. the lead sounds went from IIB to V pretty nicely!
IMG_7572.jpeg

IMG_7557.jpeg
IMG_7569.jpeg
IMG_7565.jpeg

Back