Opinion: should i paint or leave as is

Briman24

I picked up this old ibanez 22 fret unfinished project. Going to install an original floyd rose and new sd pickups. Question is do you think i should do a frankenstrat paint job or leave as is?
I have done a few frankenstrat paint jobs to charvel style guitars but never an ibanez. Might be cool?
20211023_132108.jpg
20211027_222221.jpg

Personally, I would not franky that thing. I would love to see some of your other similar work though. For reference.

It looks like a great relic project guitar. That's what I'd go for. Like it went on tour with Korn for 20 years look :LOL:

Black hardware all around would look sick on that guitar. I'd buy it :yes:

So was this new Ibby a 'relic' project someone started? the relic work on the lower horn seems off. Not a normal wear area imo. I would go with this look:

Except all black hardware

OaRuWNcl.jpg

I have a blacked out Strat I'd like to do something similar with, but I'm afraid I'd fuck it up so it just sits here. I get project paralysis :(

I would love to see some of your other similar work though. For reference.
Hey Dumb Ass - there is an example in his avatar : :doh:

Last edited:
Black hardware all around would look sick on that guitar. I'd buy it :yes:

So was this new Ibby a 'relic' project someone started? the relic work on the lower horn seem off. Not a normal wear area imo. I would go with this look:

OaRuWNcl.jpg

I have a blacked out Strat I'd like to do something similar with, but I'm afraid I'd fuck it up so it just sits here. I get project paralysis :(

Hey Dumb Ass - there is an example in his avatar : :doh:

Yeah i got off kijiji here which is similar to Craigslist but better. The guy tried a relic project but gave up. Yeah the horn looks whacked but i will adjust it.

Last edited:
Are you going to put a gotoh Floyd in? The original bushings are larger that Floyd rose bushings. The one on the left looks sloppy. I'd fill those with maple dowels and refill for the smaller bushings. Just a thought.

Back