Orange Observation...

Milerky2

So, I have been on this forum for a while now, and I have noticed something...

Why does no one like Orange Amps? I mean I see plenty of Orange Cabs that you guys use in pics, but not a lot of their amps in posts or being swapped in the classifieds.

This goes along with the local store's ability to sell Orange, some people will snatch them up, but many models, like the AD30 combos will just sit there.

What is your all's take?

I really like the OR-15. Super cool little amp. The TH-30 I played was really nice too. Never played one of their big amps though.

I very much like the Orange amps ..... When I got into my Fryette's I liked the Orange amps just as much for tone. I bought the Fryette because it was more versatile. I would really like to own a AD30 & OR50...... I like all of the Orange's but these are best for my taste.

No hate here for Orange, only love. They're like Marshalls, only beefier in the low end with a little extra sizzle on top. Great tones.

:thumbsup:

I am GASing for an orange OR15H. I used to have an rv50 mk1 head, nice amp, just wish the rv50 cut better with the band.

In the right hands they can sound great. I have not found anything they offer that i could use or worth the investment.

I played on a OR15 the first time about 3 weeks ago.... aggression with nice harmonic & midrange. Very nice to say the least....

I agree, very one note on the dirt. It just seems you pick the one that has the power you need. I would buy an Orange because I want that particular sound, not for an overall rock amp. I love the medium gain sounds on them but find the higher gain gets too fuzzy.

I also think they're ridiculously expensive.

The biggest regret of my gear-owning career was selling my 1976 OR120. The modern Oranges, like the AD series sounds like modern amps to me. The Thunderverb was the only newer model that I liked as much as the OR120.

The RV100 is on my "buy back" list for sure, great amp. should have kept that one, absolutely loved the gain channel, had a really cool way of being vintage or modern just by the eq, plenty of gain on tap, you could def play almost anything on the gain channel, the clean was pretty good as well! :rock: :rock:

I've went through 4 of them a bunch of years back. Good bedroom amps... but with their warm/thick voicing they kind of struggle on stage.

AD30 - IMO, one of the best amps that Orange makes. Sweet ass tone w/ very organic compression. The only problem I had with it was that it lacked headroom. By the time I had it turned up to match my drummer it was past the point of sounding good and moving into mush territory. I traded it in for an AD140.

AD140 - I bought it thinking it'd be a higher headroom version of the AD30. What it turned out to be was an higher headroom version of the AD30 with it's soul removed. Very stiff and sterile with no real feel or depth to it.

Rocker 30 - Another 30 watter with no headroom. By the time you had it up to drummer volumes the clean/natural channel was producing AC/DC levels of crunch and the dirty channel was mush.

Rockerverb 50 - Hated this amp. I don't really have anything good to say about it. The clean channel sucked, the reverb was crap and the dirty channel was generic and boring. I traded it for a Dual Recto and never looked back.

I had a Rockerverb 100 MKI for a little while and loved the tone. I could get it to be thick and Soldano-ish, or if I stuck a EX in the loop it could get crushing metal tones. The medium gain tones were ok and the clean channel was very nice.

great amps, i like how other people sound through them, but for some reason apart from the clean tones i can't seem to jive with how it breaks up/distorts , tried a couple now Rockerverb, AD140, Dual terror, OR50

i guess some people are maybe put off by the colour

Orange amps are much more popular than many of the companies that get talked about on here, but in a different circle of music. They are fantastic amps, but unique in their voicing and look, which doesn't really suit a lot of the 80s and modern rock/metal fellas around here.

BeZo":292cead2 said:
The biggest regret of my gear-owning career was selling my 1976 OR120. The modern Oranges, like the AD series sounds like modern amps to me. The Thunderverb was the only newer model that I liked as much as the OR120.
The OR120 is just a great amp.... :thumbsup:

One of my favorite amp brands but I've never gelled with them aesthetically.

Although, I'm about to hit 'buy now' on a Micro Terror because it's a rockin' amp at a great price.

Back