OT: server virtualization

kannibul

I have a couple of servers that could probably be stuffed into a single server as virtual servers.

I'm curious - could one do a full backup of the original server, then, create a "new" virtual server, and restore the original server's data to the virtual server, and have it work with little trouble?

Sounds good on paper, but just checking to see if anyone else has done something like this...

:)

You're talking about transforming an existing physical system into a virtual machine? There's a program called P2V from VMWare that will do this. I've never used it though so I can't vouch for how well it works. I don't believe it's free either

http://www.vmware.com/products/p2v/index-overview.html

Heh, there's that and there's QEmu except that's beta. VMware is now offering a new free client these days, crippled but it can run VMs, can't make them to my knowledge.

>|<>QBB<
CoachZ":71534 said:
Heh, there's that and there's QEmu except that's beta. VMware is now offering a new free client these days, crippled but it can run VMs, can't make them to my knowledge.

Will QEmu convert a disk image from an existing physical machine into a virtual machine? If so, that's pretty cool.

Microsoft also has VirtualPC (free) and Virtual Server which will run VM images. But I don't think they have a method of creating a virtual machine from an existing physical machine.

>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":a5021 said:
>|<>QBB<

Will QEmu convert a disk image from an existing physical machine into a virtual machine? If so, that's pretty cool.

Microsoft also has VirtualPC (free) and Virtual Server which will run VM images. But I don't think they have a method of creating a virtual machine from an existing physical machine.

That was the idea behind doing a "restore" to a virtual box.

Basically, fake a bare-metal restore, though, I guess the drivers could throw a fit...

I downloaded those VM Ware apps from the site, so I'll do me some testing...

Just thinking I can knock out of a couple boxes that are light-duty...

>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":0265b said:
>|<>QBB<

No, Qemu doesn't unfortunately.

VMware - and to the guy that said it's not cheap, well that's purely subjective. IMO it’s worth its weight in gold.

I’m a senior network engineer and I manage all our servers as well. We are a Dell shop with more than 500 servers and well over 300 virtual servers running on VMware Virtual Infrastructure 3.0.1.

P2V – Physical to Virtual is one of VMware’s products that takes any physical server and transforms it into a software stack. You simply create a “VM helperâ€

Attachments

• Virtualization for Engineers.ppt
    766.5 KB · Views: 305
Cool info. David! We're probably going to have to do some server consolidation at my current job in the upcoming year so I'd imagine we'll be picking this up and trying it out.

That is, if I don't jump ship and wind up at Google. My interview is on the 17th, wish me luck. :)

BTW, David? How do you guys handle IP addressing of each image? Do you guys just give each one a different IP in the same subnet as the host machine?

Thanks for the presentation. Now, all that I've used virtualisation for is to test Ubuntu on top of WinXP using VMWare Player because Ubuntu doesn't like my graphics card (Radeon X800XL) and refuses to start the GUI when used from a LiveCD.

Does virtualisation offer any real benefits for the end user though? I can see its usefulness in servers but most people don't need to run several OSs at the same time.

>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":0534b said:
Cool info. David! We're probably going to have to do some server consolidation at my current job in the upcoming year so I'd imagine we'll be picking this up and trying it out.

That is, if I don't jump ship and wind up at Google. My interview is on the 17th, wish me luck. :)

Good luck with that Paul! Beef up on your brain teasers!

>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":b4dc1 said:
>|<>QBB<

Good luck with that Paul! Beef up on your brain teasers!

OH dude, believe me I've been doing my homework. Heheh... I've heard ALL ABOUT their assinine interview questions and I'm ready for 'em. :2thumbs:

Although I think they usually hit their higher-level engineers w/ those, the linux admin position I'm interviewing for I think isn't going to draw those sorts of questions.

>|<>QBB<
LaXu":543c5 said:
Does virtualisation offer any real benefits for the end user though? I can see its usefulness in servers but most people don't need to run several OSs at the same time.

I know a lot of developers that use VMWare extensively on their dev machines just so they can test applications in many different environments.

Plus virtualization is a nice thing to have if you use a Mac and need to start windows using parallels for an app or three. :LOL:

>|<>QBB<
LaXu":7f0e7 said:
Thanks for the presentation. Now, all that I've used virtualisation for is to test Ubuntu on top of WinXP using VMWare Player because Ubuntu doesn't like my graphics card (Radeon X800XL) and refuses to start the GUI when used from a LiveCD.

Have you tried Edgy Eft yet? I had a few problems getting 3-d rendering going using Dapper Drake, but Edgy picked up my Radeon card no problem. I'm running one of those goofy, 3D accelerated desktops and using a fresh install of Edgy, basically all I had to do was apt-get install Beryl, restart X and voila.

>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":372cf said:

I should have also mentioned that VMware only runs on x86 platform. That’s the beauty of VMware – mainframe technology on x86 platform.

BTW – I don’t know if you plan on hosting on a SAN (we do, EMC DMX3000 & DMX1000 for our DR site) and I don’t know whether you’re a Dell or HP shop or whatever. But a new Dell 2950 dual quad-core fully loaded with 32GB ram and 6x146GB-15K SAS drives lands in the neighborhood of $8500. I've attached is a typical quote for the server. You can get up to 32 VMs on this box. Do the math and you’ll be stunned at how much money you’ve just saved and the small footprint it takes.

Are you interviewing at Google Headquarters in Mountain View, California? I'd give my little toe to work there. I have two freinds that work there now. One has two children and Google provides full child care, full meals for all employees and their family all day - FREE!

Good luck bro, study up! I've also attached some useful tips for your interview.

Attachments

• VI3 Quote.doc
    33 KB · Views: 370
  • Interview_Prep.doc
    45 KB · Views: 246
  • Interview_Preparation.doc
    42.5 KB · Views: 264
>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":20fdb said:
BTW, David? How do you guys handle IP addressing of each image? Do you guys just give each one a different IP in the same subnet as the host machine?

The key to VMware is I/O, ram and storage. Also, the more nics the better. Each one of my VMware host servers have 16 nics, because (without going into too much detail) you create what's call "Virtual Switches" and then assign each VM to a VS. You manage the VMware host through a service console (the Linux kernel) and "Virtual Center" that has nothing to do with the subnet/VLAN that the VSs are one. You can have many VMs on the same host in completely different VLANS and subnets. In fact, that is best practices for VMware network topology.

>|<>QBB<
LaXu":b7eed said:

Absolutely. XP is fully supported with VMware. Good for QA/DEV and lab environments and incase you need multiple workstations.

VMware supports:

Microsoft Windows NT 4
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows 2003 Server, Standard Edition
Microsoft Windows 2003 Server, Enterprise Edition
Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003
Microsoft Windows 2003 Server, Web Addition
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows XP Professional (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 2003 Server, Standard Edition (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 2003 Server, Enterprise Edition (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)
Will have support for Longhorn
Linux – All Versions
Novell Netware v5.0 and above
Solaris v5.0 and above
And others

This is a cool thread, and reminds me of how low level the IT stuff I do at work really is :D

Anyone feel like IT is more a young man's game? Now in my mid 30's I feel like I'm getting less and less technical and don't have the same drive to keep learning new stuff constantly, lol :) .

Back