Our Prez

I think 2008 will be an interesting year. I am very interested to see who the GOP will pick to run. That will determine if the Dems have a chance.

Wow...never knew that RT was so right-wing ;)

I guess I will be the liberal here (even though I am not) and say that GWB is the biggest idiot I have ever seen and I would never vote for him in a million years.

>|<>QBB<
killertone":bea3d said:

I guess I will be the liberal here (even though I am not) and say that GWB is the biggest idiot I have ever seen and I would never vote for him in a million years.

Hey now, I'm not right-wing at all. Just because I love teh death m3talz doesn't mean I'm wearing blinders on my eyes :)

>|<>QBB<
Variable":33cec said:
>|<>QBB<

Well, what's really interesting is that the roles seem to have switched between the Dems and Pubies; if you remember the 2004 race, the Dems were very disorganized, which ultimately led to them losing the races. However, if you look at the election last November, we saw a unity not unlike the unity of the Republican front in the 90s when they took back Congress. Now you look at the Republican party and its exhibiting many of the flaws the Dems were showing for the past six years, such as division over the Iraq war, stem cell research, etc. There also don't seem to be any appealing candidates for the 2008 presidential election; McCain seems to be a front runner, but his undying support of the Iraq war will only hurt him considering the majority of Americans are for pulling out.

I typically vote Republican but I share many of the Ideals of the Democratic Party; ProChoice, education, the Environment...

On the GOP side, any mix of these three would work for me; McCain,Giuliani, Powell.. however, it would be a tough battle for the reasons that you mention for McCain, Giuliani because he is a proChoice REpub and Powell would never run...

I liked Wes clark but he has little to no political experience and thats why he got hammered in the primaries...

I really dont know what to think and tend to agree on a clear cut Democratic win in 08 unless the GOP can come up with the goods( and theyll have to just to prevent a landslide and even then its debatable...

>|<>QBB<
killertone":7693f said:

The thing that chaps my ass is that he was given a second chance to do the right thing and he fumbled miserably. My parents are the staunchist right wing conservatives that I know and they cant stand Dubya. Trust me when I say Thats saying something...

At least maybe now more people will think twice about just picking sides. The parallels between politics and football are the worst part of it all to me.

Unfortunately, it's still just going to go back and forth as people just get sick of one and switch back to the other. No matter how much either side screws up, there doesn't ever seem to be any room for third parties.

>|<>QBB<
OneArmedScissor":281ac said:
At least maybe now more people will think twice about just picking sides. The parallels between politics and football are the worst part of it all to me.

Unfortunately, it's still just going to go back and forth as people just get sick of one and switch back to the other. No matter how much either side screws up, there doesn't ever seem to be any room for third parties.
I see your point but I think the reality of the situation is that one side usually represents ones personal ideals. The Problem IMO, is that both sides have become teh suck. In addition, The people that get picked to represent their respective sides just Spew all kinds of BS to get their backing and few if any deliver on any of the crap that they talked... The very nature of Politics is insidious at best..

The entire system is need of an over haul...

>|<>QBB<
OneArmedScissor":28a56 said:

This is the reason why I think that our education system in the U.S. needs a major overhaul. No matter what you do or who you are in this county (assuming you're naturalized and not illegal, of course), you're a U.S. citizen first. Civics needs to be taught at every level of school. Social responsibility needs to be taught at every level. Hard work is a given, but not just book work, physical work as well. Teaching critical thought is paramount.

I think we have too many folks who are just ducky letting stupid/corrupt politicians mess up our country, and they don't realize that there is a lot they can do *besides* just voting (a right which too many neglect, as well). People need to learn that if you don't speak for yourself, someone will speak for you. We all sit on our duffs watching these things happen on TV as though they're a million miles away. Ultimately, we the people need to stop being passive with our government and start being active. I won't hesitate to say that apathy is killing my generation.

Personally, I just wish I could figure out what I myself can do to fix that.

>|<>QBB<
King Crimson":062f8 said:
>|<>QBB<

Wouldn't you be?

The guy was barely in office and he had to deal with this crap.

Don't get me wrong - I think the guy has f'd up in many ways, but geez, he was dealt a very hard blow only months into office.
You mean after kickin' it for the first 9 months of his presidency? :LOL:

>|<>QBB<
STEEL KAGE":9b363 said:
>|<>QBB< I see your point but I think the reality of the situation is that one side usually represents ones personal ideals. The Problem IMO, is that both sides have become teh suck. In addition, The people that get picked to represent their respective sides just Spew all kinds of BS to get their backing and few if any deliver on any of the crap that they talked... The very nature of Politics is insidious at best..

Well, I have some pretty radical ideas, but I think it should be illegal for candidates to declare a political affiliation; the RNC and DNC should be dissolved and all major elections should be publicly funded. I know Joe America is going to be pissed off about having to pay another tax, but which is the worse evil? Paying a nominal fee to keep corporate interests out of campaign funding, or letting them take the power away from the voter? I'd have no problem paying an extra tax to keep the lobbyists and financiers out of Washington.

Look at the Iraq war, for example, and then compare that with the stock price for Lockheed Martin. Take a look at how much it jumped between 2003 and now. Based on that alone I'd hazard a guess that they had a vested interest in the invasion since they're making a sizeable profit. Based on that trend alone, I think they'd be all for the conflict going on forever. Now, do you think they would have that kind of power if they were banned from using money to influence our government? Moreover, do you think it's morally right for them to profit from a conflict that's already responsible for six-hundred thousand deaths and countless wounded? Of course, that's just one example.

Kage and I have discussed why I think Rudy won't get past the primaries...too bad, I'd vote for him in the general election. As for the general election, I see the exact same problem facing the Republicans this time...no real candidate. Rudy (IMHO) is a good one, as is McCain...but both will have a bitch of a time getting through the primaries. The conservative right will have a field day with Rudy, and the moderates will torch McCain. I really think if Wes Clark runs again, he'll have a good shot for the Dems.

As for Bush...every president I can remember looks like hell after they're finished with the job. Personally...I'm glad I don't have to know what they know when I go to bed at night. I can't imagine the stress.

>|<>QBB<
STEEL KAGE":e4741 said:
>|<>QBB< I see your point but I think the reality of the situation is that one side usually represents ones personal ideals. The Problem IMO, is that both sides have become teh suck. In addition, The people that get picked to represent their respective sides just Spew all kinds of BS to get their backing and few if any deliver on any of the crap that they talked... The very nature of Politics is insidious at best..

You're kind of elaborating on my point hehe. I just didn't feel like explaining it any further at the moment.

Each side is rooted in certain views on big issues that people feel very strongly about, so lots of people take that side and defend it just as strongly as their views on those issues, as if they are basically one and the same.

But today, the two parties just abuse that. The grounds they stand on appear to be there just to hook in as many people as they can as hard as they can, with a very general yes or no stance, whichever is the opposite of the other side, on a big issue. We all know that the answers to complicated problems cannot be so simple. Most of the issues are things that will probably not change in any of our lifetimes to begin with, and neither side really pushes FOR their view, they just push AGAINST the opposite one, leaving it in a stalemate so that nobody really has to do jack crap.

And of course, since the big issues are often of the moral sort, people believe themselves to be in the right on their views, and both parties paint up anyone who goes against it to be inherently evil, so that's just another way they abuse people's feelings to add fuel to the fire.

The end result is the equivalent of professional sports. There are two sides going against each other, and only one can come out as the victor. Anyone who doesn't take a side doesn't matter. You cannot just be in between, or you will be disregarded. It has no real significance to much of anything in the end, but the players can make a lot of money off of the die hard fans that will support their team to the end, even going as far as to say nasty things about and fight with the other team and its fans. And all that just so they don't have to admit being wrong, thinking that it will make them appear defeated, weak, and inferior in some way after giving one side all their support.

>|<>QBB<
Craggin":7b0a8 said:
Oh, and does does anyone else think Bush looks like Ross Perot...or is it just me?

I can see it, but his ears need to be bigger. They're not quite at that Dumbo level that Perot was famous for. It's like he had ear enhancements or something... it's certainly a favorite crutch for the political cartoonists these days :D

Back