Out of Nowhere.. I’m a Mark Series Fan

xpoopx

Over the course of the past month.. I have found myself to be a big fan of the Mesa Mark Series
Mesa Triaxis running either the IIC+ or IV mode
Mesa Studio Preamp with c++ mod
Mark III that will be getting ++ treatment in a few months

Attachments

• 120ECCF7-C401-4EFE-A63F-0781ACE1E155.jpeg
    120ECCF7-C401-4EFE-A63F-0781ACE1E155.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 65
  • C3478077-5D51-47A8-9366-63F0AC67C64C.jpeg
    C3478077-5D51-47A8-9366-63F0AC67C64C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 66
  • 96386AD9-7542-4472-877E-EFFC82C2BDF5.jpeg
    96386AD9-7542-4472-877E-EFFC82C2BDF5.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 57
Welcome to the club. I scored a Mark V for cheap and I was going to flip it until I played it. I just wanted to make sure it worked, and it worked better than everything else. Now it's my main amp.

The c++ studio absolutely floored me. I saw the Mark III available locally and got it after Mesa confirmed the ++ mod could be done for it.
It’s a thick full chunky and aggressive tight beast. My favorite Mesa

Yeah, grew up a total Marshall fiend and now my Boogies are it. Still have a 50 watt ‘75 Marshall that I love but damn my Quad Pre is just tits.

Trying to talk myself out of a Rackmount Mark IVb but.. I mean.. why not?
If you add the ++ mod to your mark 3 you don’t need it really . I sold my mark 4 and 5 after I got my 3++ . But 4 is awesome af but I didn’t feel I needed it anymore

Mark series are great amps. Some real garbage tones can come out of them, but as long as you know what you're doing and dial them in proper they're one of the best sounding amps.

I was turned off of Mesa for a good while. I never could and still can't get along the greatest with Recto's. The handful of people around here way back when that had Marks couldn't dial them in for shit. That put me off those for a long time. So I pretty much stayed clear of anything Mesa for along while. About a year or so ago I dipped my toe back into Mesa territory and got a IICP synergy module. I've enjoyed that tone and bonded well once I figured it out. Took the next logical step a few weeks ago and picked up a Mark III red stripe.

If you add the ++ mod to your mark 3 you don’t need it really . I sold my mark 4 and 5 after I got my 3++ . But 4 is awesome af but I didn’t feel I needed it anymore
The IV's have tones in them that the III's can't do, but if all you do is metallica style riffage then it might be a bit redundant. Although, if you're a fan of the black album's tone I think the Mark IV nails that tone better than a Mark III does, cause it's a more refined sound. I sold my Mark III red stripe very soon after I got my rackmount IVb. What I didn't like about the III was the harshness in the top end at band volumes. It was pretty much impossible to dial out without dialing in a really dark tone. The ++ mod might resolve that issue though.

I've thought about that because I really only use the Lead channel anyway and maybe the rhythm II. I guess the nice thing is that if I do get a Mark IV and decide it's redundant, I don't really lose any money on it.
However.. what do I do with my KSR modded Rackto?! the Studio Pre is running through an old Strategy 400.

Mark series are great amps. Some real garbage tones can come out of them, but as long as you know what you're doing and dial them in proper they're one of the best sounding amps.

I was turned off of Mesa for a good while. I never could and still can't get along the greatest with Recto's. The handful of people around here way back when that had Marks couldn't dial them in for shit. That put me off those for a long time. So I pretty much stayed clear of anything Mesa for along while. About a year or so ago I dipped my toe back into Mesa territory and got a IICP synergy module. I've enjoyed that tone and bonded well once I figured it out. Took the next logical step a few weeks ago and picked up a Mark III red stripe.
I must say the IICP module rips! Even compared to real IIC+ in the same room.

The IV's have tones in them that the III's can't do, but if all you do is metallica style riffage then it might be a bit redundant. Although, if you're a fan of the black album's tone I think the Mark IV nails that tone better than a Mark III does, cause it's a more refined sound. I sold my Mark III red stripe very soon after I got my rackmount IVb. What I didn't like about the III was the harshness in the top end at band volumes. It was pretty much impossible to dial out without dialing in a really dark tone. The ++ mod might resolve that issue though.
The agressive highs are my favorite part . But ya the ++ made it perfect for me . Allowed me to sell my 4 and also liked it more than my friends 2c+. I did love my 4 don’t get me wrong. It just wasn’t used as much or needed .

I've thought about that because I really only use the Lead channel anyway and maybe the rhythm II. I guess the nice thing is that if I do get a Mark IV and decide it's redundant, I don't really lose any money on it.
However.. what do I do with my KSR modded Rackto?! the Studio Pre is running through an old Strategy 400.
Nothing wrong having a recto and a mark . I keep one of each

Back