Arch Stanton

Dollar Store Satriani
Outta Love Again - Van Halen II

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14663469

06B7GVq.jpg

Using none of the correct gear.

:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I went thru Jim Gaustad's VH2 video step-by-step.

It's interesting how this one track doesn't sound like any other track on that record.
never picked up on that ..... now I'm going to listen to the whole album and make note to compare ...

I used to do this song in a cover band and they wanted the lead perfect , so I found this track that had everything removed except the solo
and worked it over and over again until I got it pretty much dead on. Back then this was Axe FX II
I don't know if I can do this now this was 11 years ago, I'd have to work it out again

I used to do this song in a cover band and they wanted the lead perfect , so I found this track that had everything removed except the solo
and worked it over and over again until I got it pretty much dead on. Back then this was Axe FX II
I don't know if I can do this now this was 11 years ago, I'd have to work it out again
I'd say you nailed he solo !

I never could gel with the modelers because of the thin tone.

I'd say you nailed he solo !

I never could gel with the modelers because of the thin tone.
ya I had fun with it just for recording but it's long gone , it did not work for me in a band context at all

ya I had fun with it just for recording but it's long gone , it did not work for me in a band context at all
I will say, the amp modelers are getting better with time..

I recently demo'ed the Neural DSP Mesa amp modeler, and it was pretty convincing that you were playing thru an amp.

:unsure:

That sounded great too :yes:

I like how you replicated pretty closely that little 'run up' or slide into the riff at each bar (if you know what I'm talking about). Solo sounds great - did you double track that or just pan a single track?

Last edited:
That sounded great too :yes:

I like you replicated pretty closely that little 'run up' or slide into the riff at each bar (if you know what I'm talking about). Solo sounds great - did you double track that or just pan single?
thanks I do know what you're talking about it's part of what makes the riff so cool.
Eddie palm mutes the open E to A to B each time he does the riff :)
I did not double track one track is me one is Eddie, I worked it until i could nail it as "Eddie Like" as I could

Great VH song and one of my favorite Alex VH songs. The whole groove is killer and that cowbell in the prechorus is 🤌.

Great job @PLX and @kmanick . And cool tip on the rhythm @kmanick . I slide up but just from a ghosty open A, if that makes sense. The devil is in the details! Even a rhythm as simple as that still has some Eddie swing that’s hard to duplicate.

Great VH song and one of my favorite Alex VH songs. The whole groove is killer and that cowbell in the prechorus is 🤌.

Great job @PLX and @kmanick . And cool tip on the rhythm @kmanick . I slide up but just from a ghosty open A, if that makes sense. The devil is in the details! Even a rhythm as simple as that still has some Eddie swing that’s hard to duplicate.
I've always heard that as a hammer-on-from-nowhere, in the main riff..

Sounds like he's hitting the open E, then hammering on with the ring finger on the top string 7th fret.

It's real fast and percussive, but the riff just doesn't sound right without it.

so I found this track that had everything removed except the solo and worked it over and over again until I got it pretty much dead on.
I located an ISO track of Ed's guitar for this one.

Slowed it down and studied it. It's quite a bit different than how I've been playing it for years - but I learned it by ear off the record, so.. :ROFLMAO:

I re-tracked the solo, EQ'ed the guitar a little darker. It's more of a tone-match for the album's guitar tone now. Also pulled down the guitar in the mix about 2dB

Outta Love Again.. Again

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14663469

That's a solid tone right there, great playing too!
Thanks man !

It's weird how that one track sounds so different from the rest of that album. :unsure:

I almost think that one was a leftover from VH I, because the production sounds so removed from the rest of VH II.

Back