overrated gear :D

It's usually hard to tell unless you have owned it. Gigged, recorded, rehearsed with etc...
And even then it has a lot to do with expectation and context.

I think the only piece of gear that has disappointed me was the Mesa Recording Rectifier:

1: Plug it straight into your mixer (like it says in the manual) and you get the most horrible guitar tone in the world. Not even Batio would enjoy it.

When I bought a Palmer DI box it helped A LOT, but it's an extra expense. I dont know... Maybe I missed something a long the way.

2: You need a Mesa 2:100 power amp to able to release the Modern setting on the gain channel. Thanks a lot... Like the 2:20 and the pre amp itself didn't set me back enough.

I still love the unit though :) Now I do anyway...

Can't really think of any highly regarded products that have turned out to be wet blankets.

I like the ODS style clones I've seen and heard, but I wouldn't pay the money they fetch on the used market or HAD's asking prices. I couldn't get one from HAD anyway, so that is pretty much a moot point.

As far as overrated gear is concerned, it depends on what context one uses it in. There is some stuff that I absolutely hate using in a live setting, but it sounds fabulous when recorded. Also, the same statement applies going the other way.

kasperjensen":29bhp1hh said:
I think the only piece of gear that has disappointed me was the Mesa Recording Rectifier:

I don't I've ever returned a piece of gear quicker. It might sound good paired with a power amp and cab, but DI, despite the claims to the contrary, it was just bad.

The Barber Barb EQ pedal was a letdown as well, but I'm not sure how highly touted it is to begin with, so..

Orange amps -- overrated and overpriced. Although I understand the pricing since imports are always costly.

"Road Worn", "VOS", "Era Authenticated" gear...

Basically, brand new shit that looks like shit.

Drives me nuts.

Les Paul Pearly Gates. No offense to those who own one, but the price of admission for that guitar is just ludicrous. I don't find Mr. Gibbons to be that historically impactful on the event horizon of music overall, it behooves me.

V.

PS - I'm feeling somewhat punchy today... Best to not post today, apologies.

Relic'd Guitars. Not sure why someone would pay extra to have a guitar artificially made to look like its really old and been around the block. but thats just me.

Roland Electronic drums, and electronic drums in general. So expensive to get into the good stuff, more then any real kit.

Audioholic":186hc5ue said:
Relic'd Guitars. Not sure why someone would pay extra to have a guitar artificially made to look like its really old and been around the block. but thats just me.
Roland Electronic drums, and electronic drums in general. So expensive to get into the good stuff, more then any real kit.
No, it's not just you, it's me too :LOL: :LOL:

V.

Tawlks":313n51em said:

This. And although I'll probably get flamed for it, I stand by that statement, especially considering the higher-end Gibson models. I've played a lot of Gibsons, and none of them (except maybe the Studios) are worth even close to their price. I think a lot of people buy them because of what a big name Gibson is in the world of guitars.

leib10":3dqd7v9o said:
Tawlks":3dqd7v9o said:

This. And although I'll probably get flamed for it, I stand by that statement, especially considering the higher-end Gibson models. I've played a lot of Gibsons, and none of them (except maybe the Studios) are worth even close to their price. I think a lot of people buy them because of what a big name Gibson is in the world of guitars.

What about SG standards? I think those are some of the best guitars for the money.

In my opinion overrated = PRS :dunno:

Back