PANTERA soundcheck!

My thoughts on the whole thing are, no matter what it isn't gonna sound like Pantera. Why? Because there's no Dime or Vinny. Simple.

It's like when Led Zeppelin reunited in 2007. People bitched that Jason didn't play enough like his Dad and that the songs were tuned down so it didn't feel like Zeppelin... well no shit. What did Zeppelin sound like in 07? Zeppelin in mourning, as they should have. There was a piece missing and the music reflected that. The music that night, even the most celebratory moments, reflected the tragedy of Bonzo's death and the ensuing decades

If Dime and Vinny and Bonzo could actually be replaced they wouldn't be Dime and Vinny and Bonzo.

To a certain extent not about replicating the feel or even really the music. It's about the emotion behind it.

Accepting that replicating Dime is a lost cause, Zakk is the perfect choice for this. He and Dime were best buds, kindred spirits and almost twenty years later Zakk still pays tribute to Dime at every BLS show. For another thing, Zakk has the track record. He was 20 years old when he was signed on to play Tony, Randy and Jake tunes with Ozzy, and he was able to strike an amazing balance between replication and interpretation. Zakk plays Randy's solos pretty much note-for-note, yet he still sounds like Zakk. Zakk will always sound like Zakk. I'd rather see and hear a man honoring his fallen friend than see a kid plucked off Youtube just because he's spent his entire life learning to xerox Dime's playing.

Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. Zakk got murdered and twenty years on Dimebag is called up to pay tribute to him. Is he gonna play Stillborn and Bleed For Me note-for-note identical to Zakk? No, he's gonna do it the Dime way and it would be fantastic.
That’s all fine and dandy, but I bet Dime wouldn’t have called it BLS.

But if Wolfgang , Sammy , mike , and Alex do a tour it’s Van Halen replacing Van Halen .

Never going to happen. Maybe a few dates but no tour. The guy has worked so hard to do his own thing, why do the VH thing. Save that for when you are broke.

I don't think they should go under the name Pantera either. Now if Dime and Vinnie had said a long time ago that 'hey that's cool if someone else takes our place if something happens' then I could accept it. Kind of like KISS or even Slipknot. But LZ is not LZ without all 4 original members and same with Van Halen and same with Pantera.

I had Decapitated play my local tiny bar once . With Impaled and Incantation. Very fun day
Sweet. Can I ask what you do or you pulled that off?

I don't think they should go under the name Pantera either. Now if Dime and Vinnie had said a long time ago that 'hey that's cool if someone else takes our place if something happens' then I could accept it. Kind of like KISS or even Slipknot. But LZ is not LZ without all 4 original members and same with Van Halen and same with Pantera.

Sweet. Can I ask what you do or you pulled that off?
I use to play shows in a local band opening for international bands every weekend. From canibal corpse to door to misfits you name it . The tour had a day off to play so they asked me if I could set up a show that day . I just use to be in the Detroit scene though I’m from Ohio

I use to play shows in a local band opening for international bands every weekend. From canibal corpse to door to misfits you name it . The tour had a day off to play so they asked me if I could set up a show that day . I just use to be in the Detroit scene though I’m from Ohio
Oh wow, that is pretty sweet :cheers:

PS: I was born in Athens.

Back