Pao Ferro vs. Roasted Maple Necks

cdm

hey guys!

I'm planning an order for another Suhr!
There are lot's of smokingly hot Koa guitars popping up lately so I'm gonna pull the trigger aswell... But what to choose for the neck? Anybody familiar with both of the mentioned necks above? I'm hardly thinking about a one piece pao ferro neck and fretboard with stainless steel frets.

I'll be able to tell ya in October.
I ordered a Modern with a Roasted Maple neck and Ebony board.
I just got my first Suhr (Reb Beach Model) and I love it.

Pau Ferro has a really cool feel to it. Kind of "soft" but not really. It balances nicely with the Koa.

Koa is a very 'warm' sounding wood.So a pau ferro is a more 'adequate' match for koa.What do you think about the koa body/neck thing?

sinfish":1pecp689 said:
Do a three piece with both woods. Then you don't have to choose.

pao ferro with roasted flame maple pieces would surely be killer! nice idea!

I have/had both on Suhrs. I currently have one with a Brazillian board and a rosted maple on rosewood. I love the roasted neck. It's awesome and is very stable. The Pao Ferro is nice also but I prefer the Brazillian over that. The roasted neck is resonant and has a really nice feel to it. You cannot go wrong. I was talking to another member about the roasted necks and he bought one with the roasted maple board as well one piece. I believe he likes it big time from what he told me.

glip22":3s70ler8 said:
I have/had both on Suhrs. I currently have one with a Brazillian board and a rosted maple on rosewood. I love the roasted neck. It's awesome and is very stable. The Pao Ferro is nice also but I prefer the Brazillian over that. The roasted neck is resonant and has a really nice feel to it. You cannot go wrong. I was talking to another member about the roasted necks and he bought one with the roasted maple board as well one piece. I believe he likes it big time from what he told me.

That roasted maple neck and board is NICE :thumbsup:

I think mine is the GG spec neck (0.80-.85), 16" radius, Jumbo frets. It is lightening fast and very comfy. I am not typically a maple fretboard kind of guy, but the roasted I can definitely dig.

Steve

And, that "blower switch" is handy as hell. Bypasses everything and goes to bridge PU and dimes the volume. Very cool indeed.

Steve

steve_k":2mxedi1t said:
And, that "blower switch" is handy as hell. Bypasses everything and goes to bridge PU and dimes the volume. Very cool indeed.

Steve

there you go! my new one will feature the blower switch too, very nice invention!

Fenderoid":1n0sbond said:
Koa is a very 'warm' sounding wood.So a pau ferro is a more 'adequate' match for koa.What do you think about the koa body/neck thing?

Not always. I had a Koa standard a few years ago with Pau Ferro neck and it was one of the brightest guitars I've ever had. It was brighter than a solid maple guitar. I learned to stay far away from Koa.

Just got my new Modern with a roasted maple neck with ebony board.
ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!
I think it's my new fave guitar.

I got the Reb Beach "C" modern carve. Since I liked the neck on my Reb so much.
It has a different feel than the Pau Ferro on the Reb. The Pau Ferro has kind of a "Soft" feel to it. While the roasted maple feels much firmer and stable.

I like both alot but for different reasons.
I'm definitely a Suhr addict now!

danyeo":8pdv2ghe said:
Fenderoid":8pdv2ghe said:

Not always. I had a Koa standard a few years ago with Pau Ferro neck and it was one of the brightest guitars I've ever had. It was brighter than a solid maple guitar. I learned to stay far away from Koa.

I believe you- but I've not experienced bright Koa ( yet, hopefully never ).

Years ago Luthier Michael Tobias told me Koa is a versatile wood 'cause you get good spank in single coil modes but still big fat Humbucker tones- and he was right. I get a lot of warm ,audible resonance from the wood- I've had 2 neck throughs and one Bolt On.

Of course with wood there are always exceptions- and I'm not talking about Koa with a Floyd.

Tone Zone":2pmzc5bu said:
I've got a Modern with a mahogany body/curly koa top/pau ferro neck....sounds fantastic!

Generally is this a fatter, deeper sounding Guitar compared to most Alder "Superstrats" unplugged and plugged in ?

Played a Suhr strat with a roasted maple neck and fingerboard. I really liked how it seemed to resonate throughout the neck through to the headstock, but found the $600 dealer cost to be a little excessive for what is involved in the treatment process. Fast forward a year later, that dealer still has it in stock, I am thinking others found it to be a bit much as I did, possibly.

robertkoa":2t3zitag said:
Tone Zone":2t3zitag said:
I've got a Modern with a mahogany body/curly koa top/pau ferro neck....sounds fantastic!

Generally is this a fatter, deeper sounding Guitar compared to most Alder "Superstrats" unplugged and plugged in ?

Not exactly sure, but I have a couple Moderns with Mahogany bodies and one with Alder and the Alder definitely has a brighter tone. On e of the Mahogany bodies has a Vulcanized maple neck w/ ebony board...very nice!! That said, none of them have the KOA top, they all have maple tops. I also have a Standard with a Mahogany body and a Spruce Top. That one sounds excellent as well.

You know you can't go wrong with Suhr, good luck with all your choices!!

Back