Partscaster - Seymour Duncan JB 250K Push/Pull Pot

Charvel1975

Hello I have a partscaster that a friend of mine put together for me some years ago and below were the parts, body, neck, etc.

- Squier Strat body; Don't know what kind of wood the body is made of though? It's extremely light.

- Neck I bought off Ebay from TNT Custom Guitars: Jackson Style Maple Neck & fretboard, 22 Fret, Floyd Rose Nut.

- 6 inline Black Grover tuning machines.

- The bridge I bought off Ebay is a Made In Mexico Fender tremolo but I had the tremolo setup on the guitar so it wouldn't move at all cause I really don't use trems so he put a total of 4 trem springs so it wouldn't move.

- The mirrored pickguard I got off Ebay and as well.

- 1 bridge humbucer: Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB Trembucker is wired it to an Alpha push/pull volume pot, 500K I'm pretty sure, no tone pot.

I read that the JB is meant to be used with a 250K potentiometer and I don't play the Partscaster a lot because it's really bright and ice picky! Also, the pot that's in it right now I think is bad as the sound cuts in and out when rolling the volume know up or down.

What do you think? Should I just get a high quality CTS 250K short shaft push/pull pot and have it installed or what?

Attachments

• image_108639.jpg
    image_108639.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 42
I think a CTS 250K pot isn't too extravagant a price to make that decision on your own . I would , what's it around 5 bucks ?

Hello I have a partscaster that a friend of mine put together for me some years ago and below were the parts, body, neck, etc.

- Squier Strat body; Don't know what kind of wood the body is made of though? It's extremely light.

- Neck I bought off Ebay from TNT Custom Guitars: Jackson Style Maple Neck & fretboard, 22 Fret, Floyd Rose Nut.

- 6 inline Black Grover tuning machines.

- The bridge I bought off Ebay is a Made In Mexico Fender tremolo but I had the tremolo setup on the guitar so it wouldn't move at all cause I really don't use trems so he put a total of 4 trem springs so it wouldn't move.

- The mirrored pickguard I got off Ebay and as well.

- 1 bridge humbucer: Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB Trembucker is wired it to an Alpha push/pull volume pot, 500K I'm pretty sure, no tone pot.

I read that the JB is meant to be used with a 250K potentiometer and I don't play the Partscaster a lot because it's really bright and ice picky! Also, the pot that's in it right now I think is bad as the sound cuts in and out when rolling the volume know up or down.

What do you think? Should I just get a high quality CTS 250K short shaft push/pull pot and have it installed or what?
Yeah, the SD JB is treble heavy with a 500k ohms pot, a 250 will tame those high frequencies, if not enough cut in the highs, use a 47pF (mF) cap too.

That should be fine. Do you need a wiring diagram, or are you just swapping out the pot?
@BenPerkins thank you! Yes I'm taking it to a guitar repair shop to have the pot swapped out as I have 2 other guitars that need checked out by same guitar repair shop for possible wiring issues. If you have a wiring diagram that may be helpful if it's not too much trouble?

I do not know what the wiring scheme is under that pickguard as I had bought all the parts that I mentioned on my first post online years ago except for the Squier body and push/pull pot which I bought off the gentleman that put the partscaster together years ago for me and set it up to drop B tuning for the band I was in at that time.

Back