Pawn Shop Finds, Guitars & Gear!

Brandon Breeze

I have a good bit of gear, and folks often ask where I find all this stuff, well Pawn Shops and local shops are a big part of it!

Here's a few of my finds!

It was suggested I move this over here. I didn't see an option to move it myself, I'll delete the other thread if needed!

My first Stingray5 bass was spotted in a pawn shop. Only $1300 AU.

Loved it so much I bought the fretless equivalent to go with it, having to save 3 grand+ (2 years) and wait, IIRC, another year for it to be built.

They're the only 2 basses I hope I'll ever need, at least on my budget.

About ten years ago I found a '66 blackface Bandmaster with tiltback 2x12 cab in a pawnshop marked with a ridiculously low price.
They thought the amp was blown but it turned out just to be a bad speaker.

Over the years I've scored a couple of great deals when Guitar Center misidentified one guitar and evaluated another one wrongly.
If this had happened at a mom-&-pop music store I would've pointed out the mistakes. But from GC I don't feel guilty about those scores.
There's no excuse for a business like GC not to inspect a used instrument, or not to bother looking up a particular model on the Web.

I also know GC only paid a paltry sum for each of those guitars when they took them in.
Their policy for used gear is that the marked prices are about double what they paid.
So they got their expected profit. And I got a couple of insane deals.

My first Stingray5 bass was spotted in a pawn shop. Only $1300 AU.

Loved it so much I bought the fretless equivalent to go with it, having to save 3 grand+ (2 years) and wait, IIRC, another year for it to be built.

They're the only 2 basses I hope I'll ever need, at least on my budget.
As a fellow and concerned RT-brother, I think it`s my duty to tell you, that buying a bass is somehow always a loss, no matter how good the deal was ;)

Over the years I've scored a couple of great deals when Guitar Center misidentified one guitar and evaluated another one wrongly.
My wife prowls GC used constantly like a bloodhound looking for these kind of deals. She has scored several nice acoustics this way.

I will say that occasionally one of those deals has popped up, she jumps on it immediately, and the next day is told the item was already sold or there is a problem and they can't find the guitar. I suspect the mark down is for someone in the store location who works there and intends on getting it cheap. Under priced Martins. "We can't find that guitar in our store". Someone working the store hides it deep back in inventory and pays for it on payday when they have the cash. Those are just my suspicions but a couple guitars never showed for these supposed reasons. They were definitely hundreds under priced so I wouldn't be surprised. If I worked GC and could get dibs on all the under priced stuff I would do it.

Back in the day and long before the internet, I found a 6-string BC Rich Bich for less than half the usual used price.

I’ve lived in area pawnshops for over the last 15 years, and have scored some AMAZING deals on quality guitars, basses, and amps.

In fact this week I scored a STEAL on a high end Martin acoustic.

More than 3/4 of my guitar/ bass collection comes from pawnshops.

I found an ‘84 Spector NS2 bass made in Brooklyn for around the same price as an import model quite a few years back. I don’t think I slept until I got the email that it was delivered to my local store, and even then I was shaking as I was taking it out of the box.

It also didn’t have a case so it was a damn miracle it made it in one piece and the UPS apes didn’t have their way with it.

I scored this 2019 LPC for $560 from a pawn shop earlier this year

339126077_2329004160612351_7774813551310896351_n.jpg

Here are my Best Scores in the last 15 years

Guitars and basses:

$64.64 - '74 Fender Jazz Bass
$92.37 - ‘88 Carvin DC 127
$120. - ‘96 MIJ Fender Jagstang Sig
$125 - '90 MIJ Fender '57RI P-Bass
$149 - '98 Yamaha LL-11 Acoustic
$180 - '98 USA Parker Nitefly
$180 - '78 Fender P-Bass
$180 - '78 Hamer Black Bound and Crowned Sunburst
$207 - '96 Larrivee D-05 acoustic
$212 - ‘87 USA Barretta 2
$225 - '94 Fender Jazz V Plus 5-string bass
$270 - '03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
$315 - '89 Fender Jazz Bass
$325 - '90 Fender Strat Plus
$400 - '07 Fender '57RI AVRI Strat
$400 - '78 Fender P-Bass
$461 - ‘89 Charvel 750 XL
$500 - '75 Fender Strat
$600 - ‘00 Gibson SG Supreme
$600 - ‘07 Gibson Explorer
$600 - ‘07 Gibson SG-3
$750 - '77 Gibson LP Deluxe
$756 - '08 Gibson LP Standard Plus
$762 - ‘76 SL Mossman Great Plains
$923 - ‘81 Martin 7/28 Dred
$993 - '89 Gibson LP Standard
$1000 ‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E (Scored this week)
$1100 - ‘77 Gibson Walnut RD Custom
$1200 - '03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top

Amps:

$250 - '05 Hughes & Kettner Tri Amp MKII Head
$320 - '07 Vox AC 30 Tube Combo
$400 - '10 Mesa Boogie Roadster Dual Rectifier Combo
$600 - '73 Fender SF Deluxe Reverb
$600 - '83 Mesa Boogie MKIIC loaded head

Misc. Equipment:

$30 - Sennheiser MD 441 U Dynamic Mic
$75 - (2) Electro Voice RE20 Dynamic Mics

Last edited:
Great videos! I liked seeing and hearing what you found at local pawn shops.
Making me want to go to the ones near me!
Subscribed!

My wife prowls GC used constantly like a bloodhound looking for these kind of deals. She has scored several nice acoustics this way.

I will say that occasionally one of those deals has popped up, she jumps on it immediately, and the next day is told the item was already sold or there is a problem and they can't find the guitar. I suspect the mark down is for someone in the store location who works there and intends on getting it cheap. Under priced Martins. "We can't find that guitar in our store". Someone working the store hides it deep back in inventory and pays for it on payday when they have the cash. Those are just my suspicions but a couple guitars never showed for these supposed reasons. They were definitely hundreds under priced so I wouldn't be surprised. If I worked GC and could get dibs on all the under priced stuff I would do it.
I've often had the same thought - price something crazy low and stash it, then come back when you're off duty and snatch it up. I believe the store manager has to sign off on a price before it's entered into the computer system. But managers can be preoccupied and they might not pay much attention to used dealings; they're more concerned with new gear sales I think.

Have had a couple of unnaturally great online GC bargains denied the following day myself, after having thought it was a done deal.
We're not the only ones watching for underpriced items, of course; they'll sell almost immediately to somebody...
It is irksome that their system will process a sale even after an item has been sold or de-listed.
If that happened with new equipment they'd probably have to make good, but the rules are different for individual used items.

I did get a great price on a Lovepedal 'billet' fuzz, one of the handmade ones in a casing machined from a block of aluminum. I see these listed on Reverb for $300-500 used; got mine from GC for $99. I've been a big Lovepedal fan for years so it was pretty gratifying.

The two other GC deals I scored were even bigger savings.

In 2015 I saw an age-darkened Martin acoustic sitting off in a corner of the acoustic case. Took a closer look and it was an HD28 with some finish checking, obviously played and loved for many years. A few remaining strings were sitting flat against the frets. When I asked, the saleskid said it was only good for a wall decoration. He pulled it out for me and on examination the neck and neck joint actually looked straight & solid.

So I said okay, but at least give me a used case too. He went in back and came out a couple of minutes later with the original Martin factory case... I wound up getting guitar and case both, for less than the case was worth by itself. (Once a price is entered into the computers they don't - or possibly can't - question it.) It needed a new bridge & underplate and five new frets. Plays great now. And the tone is fantastic. Turned out only to be about forty years old at the time but it looks antique.

Then a couple of years ago they had mistaken a gorgeous Zerberus for a cheaper model and listed it online for about a quarter of what it should've been. I clicked through and bought it (including its formfit case) on the spot. Nice guitar, great deal.

Like I said upthread, if this had happened at a mom-&-pop place I would've pointed out the mistakes.
But in dealing with GC or a pawnshop, I didn't feel guilty about those scores.
They got what they wanted, and we both came away happy.

Last edited:
Have had a couple of unnaturally great online deals denied myself. Of course we're not the only ones watching for underpriced items: they'll sell almost immediately to somebody...

I have theories on this. Their website/inventory system is clearly pretty old/slow - they prettied up the site but the same system is still running everything underneath. If I add something to the cart and pay for it, it still shows on the GC site for a little while. You could still add it to the cart and buy it again sometimes, which would get cancelled later on. Sometimes, it won't let you add it to the cart because it says the item isn't available - this seems to work more consistently now than it did in the past.

So there are tons of times someone else just pulled the trigger faster or has a higher risk tolerance. There are quite a few times I personally have had something without a picture in my cart, and I'm hesitating wondering if I'm going to get screwed, but I can't call the store because they aren't open yet to ask questions about it. Then I go to buy and it's already sold because someone else took the risk. I've been on the other side, bought something instantly regardless of pictures of condition based on the price - sometimes I'm blown away by the deal I got (like a JCM800 2210 for $850) but the majority of the time end up with some broken POS I have to return.

I think with the used market absolutely booming the last two years, competition is just incredibly stiff. I remember in 2019 and 2020 not feeling as pressured to make a snap decision, I'd wait a few hours for the store to open, give them a leisurely call on my lunch break and chat about it, then decide to buy or not. Now, anything worth buying won't make it that long, it's gone at 9 or 10am at the latest EST.

The reason I bring that up is that I notice a few signs that the behavior is different when an employee or friend of the store is going to buy the item. First thing is that used items have to sit in the store for 30 days before they are available online, to wait for the local anti-theft ordinance to clear. So I think the majority of the time, if it's getting stashed for an employee, it never makes it online because they're bound to get at least one paycheck during that time frame. For the few that squeak through, they let you buy it - probably good for them because they can immediately take it off the floor - then they cancel/call and tell you it's damaged. I have had 4 separate occasions where someone called and told me the amp "caught on fire and smoke came out" - that exact excuse - and just by random chance all 4 of those have been really good deals. Hiwatt Lead50R for $349, Splawn Nitro for $749, Fender Super-Sonic 100 for $499, and Mesa Road King II 2x12 Combo for $949. Mostly the Splawn Nitro is the one I feel like I really missed out on haha.

I have theories on this. Their website/inventory system is clearly pretty old/slow - they prettied up the site but the same system is still running everything underneath. If I add something to the cart and pay for it, it still shows on the GC site for a little while. You could still add it to the cart and buy it again sometimes, which would get cancelled later on. Sometimes, it won't let you add it to the cart because it says the item isn't available - this seems to work more consistently now than it did in the past.

So there are tons of times someone else just pulled the trigger faster or has a higher risk tolerance. There are quite a few times I personally have had something without a picture in my cart, and I'm hesitating wondering if I'm going to get screwed, but I can't call the store because they aren't open yet to ask questions about it. Then I go to buy and it's already sold because someone else took the risk. I've been on the other side, bought something instantly regardless of pictures of condition based on the price - sometimes I'm blown away by the deal I got (like a JCM800 2210 for $850) but the majority of the time end up with some broken POS I have to return.

I think with the used market absolutely booming the last two years, competition is just incredibly stiff. I remember in 2019 and 2020 not feeling as pressured to make a snap decision, I'd wait a few hours for the store to open, give them a leisurely call on my lunch break and chat about it, then decide to buy or not. Now, anything worth buying won't make it that long, it's gone at 9 or 10am at the latest EST.

The reason I bring that up is that I notice a few signs that the behavior is different when an employee or friend of the store is going to buy the item. First thing is that used items have to sit in the store for 30 days before they are available online, to wait for the local anti-theft ordinance to clear. So I think the majority of the time, if it's getting stashed for an employee, it never makes it online because they're bound to get at least one paycheck during that time frame. For the few that squeak through, they let you buy it - probably good for them because they can immediately take it off the floor - then they cancel/call and tell you it's damaged. I have had 4 separate occasions where someone called and told me the amp "caught on fire and smoke came out" - that exact excuse - and just by random chance all 4 of those have been really good deals. Hiwatt Lead50R for $349, Splawn Nitro for $749, Fender Super-Sonic 100 for $499, and Mesa Road King II 2x12 Combo for $949. Mostly the Splawn Nitro is the one I feel like I really missed out on haha.
Yeah, right - all four amps burned before the next day. Sure.

It was nice being able to take the time and call whichever branch had an item and ask about it.
Especially since their online used pages show only a single pic each - almost always a small, pretty crappy one.

Glad their system is getting a little faster. Should save us customers some frustration, and their customer service folks some time.

It seems the used market may be slowing down a bit lately though.
Perhaps we'll be able to adopt a more leisurely attitude with less fear of missing out.

Back