Pedalboard USB Connection

teuler3

I am having trouble figuring out the best way to go about this. I have 3 pedals on my pedalboard that I have to program regularly for different set lists that I do. I am wanting to make it easier to access the usb ports on the pedals to be able to connect them to my computer and program them. I added 3 usb ports to the side of my board so that I can just plug in from the side of my board rather than having to maneuver my way to the back of my pedals. I made sure all of my usb cables used and the ports on the side of my board allowed data transfer, but every time I try to use this setup, it doesn't work. I know the cables work because I have tested each of them. And if i go straight from the pedal to the computer, using 1 cable, it works. I guess it is possible that the ports on the side of my board wouldn't work because I don't know how to test them. Could it be possible that the data is getting lost since i am using multiple different cables and ports? I have done so much research and haven't found anything to help me out... Does anyone have any ideas? Or does anyone know if this kind of setup would even work? Anything helps!

Suggest moving the board right next to your PC & use the shortest possible USB cable (known good/tested directly with the pedal in question).

Check with vendor/OEM for the USB patch panel & confirm that it supports data, not just power. If it does, issue could be related to the length of the cable you are using from your computer to the USB ports on the side of the board.

I have a long USB cable run from a PC to two different pedal boards, works with an active repeater cable. Here's one on Amazon that works - I use the 32 ft/10M one to connect HX Effects, Source Audio EQ2 - works like a champ, they have 25 & 16 ft ones as well- use the shortest that will work for your setup:

https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Female-Active-Extension-Repeater/dp/B005LJKEXS

One other troubleshooting step: try several different USB ports on your PC- they don't all automatically have the same power specs and could struggle with longer runs, USB 3.0 ports tend to support longer runs on USB 2.0, but there's no guarantee.

Back