Phaser location?

Where do you have your phaser?

• Pre

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • Post/Loop

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Bash_Man

So I m trying to get a "better" sound with the phaser. I hear these phasers in live bands or recorded albums and it sounds sort of Flanger-ish (i know they're of the same family), but they sound so nice and lush without sounding bassy or dark.

I use my Fractal FX8 and I cant get the phaser to sound decent. I can only get it to sound good in the loop, and even then, its Bassy and dark.

any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Pre 100% for me. The effect will be much more pronounced in the loop, but it also tends to make your core sound disappear. Particularly if you're playing with others. In front, the effect is less prominent and tends to merge with the core tone more.

Flangers I also like in front, but if you're going for a through-zero flange type of thing you'll need that in a loop to get the full effect with gain.

Pre 100% for me. The effect will be much more pronounced in the loop, but it also tends to make your core sound disappear. Particularly if you're playing with others. In front, the effect is less prominent and tends to merge with the core tone more.

Flangers I also like in front, but if you're going for a through-zero flange type of thing you'll need that in a loop to get the full effect with gain.
That's what I am sort of wanting to do. Blend the phaser sound with the core tone more. Can't seem to get it to work as such.

Interesting. I always have used my phaser after fuzz. I will say I recently picked up a Farm Fly Agaric and it sounds terrible after gain. Could just be the type. My old Boss and Keeley worked great after gain.

Agreed on placement

pVBKUnyl.jpg

I always put it after my boost for a more lush swirl, but I use vibe before. On bass, I run my B7K into a Phase 90 and get a thick phaser tone. I guess some of it depends on the phaser too. Some might not take a boosted signal too kindly and clip, while some turn to sweet sweet syrup. Really, if you like a subtle phase to your tone, put it before the dirt. If you like it thick and warbly, put it after.

I have a Phase 45 that I absolutley love!
I run it third in chain, front of dirty amp.
Wah and tuner before it.

Sounds fucking glorious!!!

Attachments

• 2EB4B942-5487-4767-A1C2-000EF5F722EF.jpeg
    2EB4B942-5487-4767-A1C2-000EF5F722EF.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 36
I've heard that before. I need to flip mine too and see what gives, but the last time I tried that it didn't work well for me for some reason.

It really depends on how thick you want the effect. Before gain it's a mild effect, after gain it's really deep.

I much prefer a phase 90 before dirt and that is the only phaser I have experience with. To me it’s too pronounced after dirt or in the loop.

If I'm using my tube amps, I usually don't use delay or reverb (delay is to the 2010s / 2020s what chorus was to the 1980s, IMO).

If I use any effects at all with my tube amps, they're in front of the amp; even if my tube amp has an effects loop. Usually it's my Source Audio EQ2 or UltraWave, but it's rare. I usually go guitar direct into the amp

I only use 4CM with my HX-Effects and Catalyst 100 for more ambient / cleans; it's easy to move effects in front or in the loop with the HX-Effects so I can try different placement options and decide where things sound best

Not sure how you're using it but I recently replaced one
with the new Empress smaller footprint parametric EQ.

empress-effects-paraeq-mkii-eq-boost-pedal-1582222.jpg
Source Audio EQ2 has para or graphic, presets, MIDI control, boost, noise gate, limiter, expression control and even a tuner.

Back