Phasing sound on low power - Badger 30

byrdparis

Hi guys, I just got (two weeks ago) my badger 30 with two 1x12 v30 cabs and this thing is a blast of an amp! It's just a pure fun and I can't put down my guitar down since it's arrived.
But, an odd thing that I notice that I wanted to ask you guys about –
In low POWER (on the power scale) with the drive past 12oclock the sound on the low string in particular is a bit phasing,
Anyone notice that? Is that "ok"?
Maybe john can out some light on the subject?
Maybe I'm doing something wrong?!

Thanks!

byrdparis":3m53gyd5 said:
Hi guys, I just got (two weeks ago) my badger 30 with two 1x12 v30 cabs and this thing is a blast of an amp! It's just a pure fun and I can't put down my guitar down since it's arrived.
In low POWER (on the power scale) with the drive past 12oclock the sound on the low string in particular is a bit phasing,

Thanks!

If you read the manual that is not a recommended setting. ;)
Keep the Drive and the Power around the same setting (depending on the gain)
You are smashing the power tubes and feeding the power section too much signal when the drive is up too high compared to the power.
As you lower the Voltage to the Power section it can not handle as much signal which is why you should turn down the Drive which is the amount of preamp feeding the power section.
Power scaling should not be used to create distortion but to maintain the tone and especially the feel as you play at low levels.
IF you have any further questions please reach out to our customer support
Thanks and Happy New Year!

Suhr":lfs8y69t said:
byrdparis":lfs8y69t said:

Thanks!

You are smashing the power tubes and feeding the power section too much signal when the drive is up too high compared to the power.
As you lower the Voltage to the Power section it can not handle as much signal which is why you should turn down the Drive which is the amount of preamp feeding the power section.
Power scaling should not be used to create distortion but to maintain the tone and especially the feel as you play at low levels.

thanks john!!!
i was fiddling a bit around and figure some setting that not phase... but it’s somewhat a bit loud if i want to maintained a decent od sound from it still.

You shouldn't use the Drive control to create distortion, that is where you get in to trouble.
You should use it to maintain the sound as you lower the power.
Unless you are playing a tele with the gain set low I wouldn't use the Drive much higher than the power if you are sensitive to the swirelys. It simply means you are hitting the output section too hard with too much signal.
If you want more grind then look at putting a KokoBoost in front

byrdparis":1zybq0ca said:
Suhr":1zybq0ca said:
byrdparis":1zybq0ca said:

Thanks!

thanks john!!!
i was fiddling a bit around and figure some setting that not phase... but it’s somewhat a bit loud if i want to maintained a decent od sound from it still.

Thanks again!
I'm realized now that I was switched the words "drive" and "gain"
In my own head I always thoughts that drive is the amount of grit\hair and gain, is somewhat similar to "volume". I understood the layout of course I just failed explained my self.

I understood all you tried to explain of course either way.

I was trying to put some boosters\ OD in front to get some more grind -and this baby eat them all up like a champ. It’s a truly an incredible amp! I can't get enough of it, and I've got 4 amps more just lying around waiting for their turn with no luck to see when it will be ;-).

So after I put the power and drive on 9:00ish… to get some decent music room "ok we can hear you from the living room" volume… I got my gain knob to 2:00-3:00 for some lead (GG) tone. I was happy to get a very dynamic approach and some F@!#$ great tone for days just playing my fingers\pick attack' volume control and pups switcher… till I realized that the FX LOOP level is low… till I get my "drive" knob up… so – I am once again need to adjust ;-)
I figured that maybe I need to adjust the delays\reverbs etc levels to compensate?!

byrdparis":3skcr7w9 said:
Thanks again!
I'm realized now that I was switched the words "drive" and "gain"
In my own head I always thoughts that drive is the amount of grit\hair and gain, is somewhat similar to "volume". I understood the layout of course I just failed explained my self.

I understood all you tried to explain of course either way.

I was trying to put some boosters\ OD in front to get some more grind -and this baby eat them all up like a champ. It’s a truly an incredible amp! I can't get enough of it, and I've got 4 amps more just lying around waiting for their turn with no luck to see when it will be ;-).

So after I put the power and drive on 9:00ish… to get some decent music room "ok we can hear you from the living room" volume… I got my gain knob to 2:00-3:00 for some lead (GG) tone. I was happy to get a very dynamic approach and some F@!#$ great tone for days just playing my fingers\pick attack' volume control and pups switcher… till I realized that the FX LOOP level is low… till I get my "drive" knob up… so – I am once again need to adjust ;-)
I figured that maybe I need to adjust the delays\reverbs etc levels to compensate?!

Yes pretty much, the effects loop is for instrument or line. You might have to experiment.
Also if you ever want to Dry /Wet you can use a small power amp for effects only using our iso line out and a second cabinet. That way you will get all the grind before the effect.
DV016_Jpg_Large_430882.jpg

What about if you have the power and gain knobs almost all the up but the drive control close to about 2.5-3, would the pahasing effect still occur?

Back