Pickup recommendations for my PRS SC250

Check out a SD Screamin’ Demon or a set of Fishman Fluence KSE pickups. They should have a dark sounding guitar up.

BTW, do they still offer the SC250? I'd love it if they did. I guess they just phased it out in favor of the Tremonti.

I visually like the hardtail Tremonti myself. A lot. I'm just not cool with the Tremonti name being on my guitar, LOL, but that's just me being a jackass, admittedly.

I’ve got two pre-lawsuit PRS single cuts. The #7’s weren’t bad…definitely more PAF…but I replaced them with BKP Rebel Yells and they’ll do Tool, AIC, etc all day long and sound great doing it. Just make sure you play with the pickup height as those guitars can be a bit picky.

IMG_0423.jpeg

I visually like the hardtail Tremonti myself. A lot. I'm just not cool with the Tremonti name being on my guitar, LOL, but that's just me being a jackass, admittedly.
You can swap the truss rod cover and then his name is off of it. If you want a gen 1 though it is inlaid at the 12th Fret so you'll need some tape lol

PRS Tremonti pickups.
Interestingly, had the OP actually had an SC250, his stock bridge pickup would have been a Tremonti, and he probably wouldn't have had to go on this pickup search. (The SC250 bridge is a Tremonti bridge). I think the Tremonti is one of the great high output bridge pickups made, and it sounds great in the PRS SC line.

Interestingly, had the OP actually had an SC250, his stock bridge pickup would have been a Tremonti, and he probably wouldn't have had to go on this pickup search. (The SC250 bridge is a Tremonti bridge). I think the Tremonti is one of the great high output bridge pickups made, and it sounds great in the PRS SC line.
Mine had the #7 stock. IME they werent THAT bad so Imma refund the BKP and while I search for a new pup this will do.

Mine had the #7 stock. IME they werent THAT bad so Imma refund the BKP and while I search for a new pup this will do.
I've owned about 35 PRS Singlecuts over the years, and the only stock pickups I couldn't stand were the #6/#7s (6s are just uncovered 7s, and they came most often in the SC Trem models). I replaced the pickups in every guitar that came with those. It's a wonder that PRS used those terrible pickups for so long.

I've owned a handful of SC250s, and the stock bridge Tremontis in every one of them sounded great.

After doing a lot of pickup swapping, I can recommend the 57/08s as amazing low output PRS pickups. I ran those in several of my SCs, but I also used several Suhr pickups. The Aldrich is pretty hot, but it worked well in an SC245. If you want a PAF style, you might try the Suhr DSV or even a Duncan Seth Lover or Pearly Gates.

My most recent favorite PAF style is the Barekuckles The Mule pickup. I just bought a Semihollow Singlecut with one of these installed, and it is one of the best sounding guitars I've played in a long time. VERY flexible and can cover a lot of tonal ground.

Anyway, best of luck on your pickup journey. I hope you find the one the really works well in your guitar.

I've owned about 35 PRS Singlecuts over the years, and the only stock pickups I couldn't stand were the #6/#7s (6s are just uncovered 7s, and they came most often in the SC Trem models). I replaced the pickups in every guitar that came with those. It's a wonder that PRS used those terrible pickups for so long.

I've owned a handful of SC250s, and the stock bridge Tremontis in every one of them sounded great.

After doing a lot of pickup swapping, I can recommend the 57/08s as amazing low output PRS pickups. I ran those in several of my SCs, but I also used several Suhr pickups. The Aldrich is pretty hot, but it worked well in an SC245. If you want a PAF style, you might try the Suhr DSV or even a Duncan Seth Lover or Pearly Gates.

My most recent favorite PAF style is the Barekuckles The Mule pickup. I just bought a Semihollow Singlecut with one of these installed, and it is one of the best sounding guitars I've played in a long time. VERY flexible and can cover a lot of tonal ground.

Anyway, best of luck on your pickup journey. I hope you find the one the really works well in your guitar.
I have a LP doing the PAF thing with fishmans so the PRS I wanna put some proper high output pups

I have a LP doing the PAF thing with fishmans so the PRS I wanna put some proper high output pups
For high output, I can really recommend the Suhr Aldrich & PRS Tremonti bridge pickups. They are hot, but they don't feel too compressed. I mean, listen to Mark's tone and you'll know how good the T's sound!

You can swap the truss rod cover and then his name is off of it. If you want a gen 1 though it is inlaid at the 12th Fret so you'll need some tape lol
Hahaha, I was just being facetious. But yeah, I'd swap the cover for sure.

Not a fan of the guy's music, but he does know tone.

What you’re describing really sounds like a job for the PRS \m/ (Metal). It flys under the radar for some reason. No bass flub in that one at all. It’s a tight pickup with a prominent attack. It has a bit of a mid push, but not a pinched nasally type of push - it’s very open. I have yet to play another passive pickup with that level of heat that also has that level of openness and clarity.

Back