Played a Mesa MKIIC+

mrkmas

Came across one in guitar center. First time ever playing a MKIIC+. I have only played the MKIII, MKIV and MKV until now. THE MKIIC+ sounded fantastic!! Just sounded so nice and warm sounding, and I definitely now know why they are so loved. Very easy to dial in also! Wish they still made them. Any past or present MKII owners on here?

It was $1899.99 for a combo. It said "factory upgrade", so I guess it was a MKIIB or some other version, that was sent to mesa to have it modded to C+ spec? I believe the tag for it said "1981 mesa boogie Mark IIC+ (factory upgrade)"

There was a MKIIB there also, which I would guess the same person brought in both. The MKIIB had a noticeably thinner sound with the settings matching the C+'s settings. that one I believe was

Yeah those amps are awsome!
Bought mine not so long ago and i really like it for heavy rock and metal. No doubt the best lead tone i ever had for those style of music. :rock:

How much was it selling for?

And yeah- why didn't you buy it even though you really liked playing it?

Indeed. Holy grail for a reason! I've owned about 4-5 of them. 3 actual original IIC+s. I'll own one again. I've got good deals on all of them and sold them for profit. Always end up regretting it though.

I didnt pick it up because I really dont have that much money to spend on an amp. By the way, it weighed a ton!

mrkmas":1948zzp5 said:
I wonder how much it would cost to get Mesa to make one of them.

They won't. It would be pointless anyway, since they wouldn't be able to make it with the same parts.

Mine is a C modded to a C+, which is exactly the same the same circuit/layout as a true C+, the only difference I'm aware of is the PT, which is more laid back/more sag in the C, and tighter/stiffer in the C+.

I'm not sure how close you can get a IIB to sound like a IIC+, but I do know they used to rip the boards out of them to convert them to a C or C+. I think you have to do the same with a III, but I'm not sure.

I have a IIB(100/60, EQ) and a IIC+(100, SimulClass, EQ, Rev). Both head format and bone stock. The IIB is warmer, much darker sounding than the IIC+. The IIB is my favorite Mesa amp for classic rock sound. The IIC+ is a lot brighter, tighter, punchier and in your face sounding amp. Perfect for metal.
They're both amazing amps!

Back