Please explain the Fryette / VHT amp models to me

I had an Ultra-Lead several years back and have regretted selling it ever since. I have not found a lead tone and feel like that ever since. Very precise, tight, just glorious. They are extremely rare where I live so I wondered what could come close. There are models like Hundred/CL, Fifty/CL or 50/ST that look almost identical to my old UL except for the tubes.

Is that about right?

- Hundred/CLX: three channels, graphic eq, the top of the line model with EL34, 120W
- Ultra-Lead: three channels, graphic eq, KT88, 120W
- Hundred/CL: two channels, with and without graphic eq, EL34, 100W
- Fifty/CL: two channels, graphic eq, EL34, 50W
- Fifty/ST: two channels, no graphic eq, EL34, 50W

Do they sound similar to each other?
So if I only want clean and lead (didn´t like the second channel on the UL) and want the graphic eq, I could get either one except the Fifty/ST? Can they all take KT88, so could I get a Hundred/CL and swap the EL34s for KT88s? What do CL, CLX and ST stand for?

The preamps are similar in many of the amps.
The poweramps are different and most of them you can not change the power tube being used.... because the transformer is voiced for a particular tube.
The GEQ is individual amps...not particular models.

The CL doesn't have a dedicated clean channel. It's the lead and rhythm channels. Either could be setup clean.
The ST has a dedicated clean channel.

They all sound and feel different. But still have the Fryette voice.

Don't forget about the Deliverance models....

D60: kinda modded Marshall to me, very raw open and uncompressed. I had one at the same time as an SLO; played them back to back through a G12 65 cab and they were very similar. My favorite of the VHT line.

D120: More modern, thicker sounding than the 60 although the 60 is not thin by any means. Again its open and uncompressed; maybe slightly less than the 60.

I've owned those 2; I've played the 50w Pittbull(with eq) and it is more of a modern tone like the 120 but a little more compression. When it comes to tubes, with the Deliverance you can swap any tube that is an even swap in the KT88 family: 6550, KT90, KT120 etc. According to Fryette when I emailed them a few yrs ago. I don't know about the other models. KT90s are very similar to EL34s tonally...just MUCH bigger sounding.

Food for thought...

There are 2 new Fryette modules coming out for the Synergy system. One is based in the UL and the other is based on the Deliverence. Salvation Audio (the guy behind the KHDK pedals) also makes a module based off the old GP3 preamp. In theory, you could get any if the Fryette based modules as well as something for leads like the new Vai module or SLO and combine it with a Fryette module.

FWIW, I had the Salvation module and liked it so much, that I bought a CL100. I sold that amp a few years ago and have regretted it since. I’m either going to get an UL, SigX or the Synergy system.

Thanks guys, this is indeed very helpful and answers many questions I had.
Regarding the Synergy system, I was thinking about that, but I guess that the poweramp is just as important to get that very tight, fast, focused tone? If so, I might have to get a Fryette poweramp to go along with it. Or maybe wait for the first few tests once those models are available as maybe Steve Fryette voiced those modules to sound good with several different poweramps, not just his own or the Synergy one.

The Deliverance might be cool too, but I´m not sure if that´s the right one for me as that Ultralead tone still haunts me...

Fryette Family Tree
I believe I have most of this correct ?
It shows the differences and similarly of the various amps.

The preamps of both Deliverance, Sig-X Rhythm channel & Memphis Drive channel are based on the Rhythm channel of the Pittbull's.

The Lead channel of the Sig-X is based on the Lead channel of the Pittbull's.

The Clean channel of the Memphis is based on the Clean channel of the Sig-X.

The GP3 is based on all three channels of the Pittnbull's.

Both the Sig-X and GP3 have the dynamic sensing feature. On the Sig, the sensitivity is fixed. On the GP3 it's adjustable on the front panel.

The power amp of the UL is similar to the 2150
The Power amp of the Sig X is similar to the 2/90/2

"CLX has a single 12AX7 driver stage, a different power transformer, a different output transformer and Dual Class Mode. It breaks up easier and has a bit more give - besides the EL34 voice.

UL does not have DualClass switch. Never did. Neither model has ever had Enhance Mode - the switchable tube/ss rectifier function.

The differences between the 2 models has varied over time, but has been stable over the last roughly 10 years.

Difference between the D60 and D120 is the driver stage. The 120 has a 2-tube driver/PI stage similar to the UL. The 60 has the single stage like the CLX. Preamp voicing is the same, but because of the difference in output and driver stage, the 60 sounds more pissed off compared to the 120 which sounds more like a bulldozer coming down your street."

- support

Most of it is based on two highgain channels and a few different clean channels. The real difference in all these amps is the Poweramp.

There is rumors of a four channel UL in the works. It could be several years if it ever happens.

Steve Fryette designed the Synergy rack poweramp. It's similar to the LXII. I would get the LXII if heading that direction.

Echoing Stephen's post above, there is no amp that 100% cops the UL lead channel.

I think most people would be very happy with the Sig: X as a passable substitute with a great range of tones (including a wonderful array of clean tones).

I also really enjoyed having the D120 and using an EH Signal Pad as my "channel footswitch" as the D amps are probably the best I've ever heard/played--better than any Marshall--when it comes to cleaning up with the volume knob. If you have a chance to demo a D120, I recommend just sweeping through all of the knobs on the amp as well as your guitar volume and tone knobs to really find whether it would be up to what you're looking for.

I sessioned a Pittbull Fifty/Twelve combo (EL84s) for over a decade. Superb. I got rid of it because I thought it was kinda boxy/AC30 sounding...but it wasn't. My tech had put a Kendrick Blackframe in it, which I changed to a V30 right after listing it to sell.

That changed everything.

What a great tone. It always had a great tone, but this took it to a new level.

amp maniac":1r4w4zjr said:
Do they sound similar to each other?

Definitely not.

Even some of the same models sound completely different. Example: VHT made some serious changes to the Ultralead in the early 90s and the older pre 95 ish (I think) UL's are WAY different and suck much ass.

Back