Popping tube cover

Those,two little nubs that hold the sleeve in place may be worn. Anyway, I imagine a new cover can't be more than $5.97

Sounds like the tabs wore and if the head is on yer cab the vibration could make it pop. Without sounding like a corksniffer, you should pull em off all together though as Dave mentioned. Quite a bit of data out there on how the tube reacts with the cover on and off.

Rezamatix":1a3pwluh said:
phil b":1a3pwluh said:
Sounds like the tabs wore and if the head is on yer cab the vibration could make it pop. Without sounding like a corksniffer, you should pull em off all together though as Dave mentioned. Quite a bit of data out there on how the tube reacts with the cover on and off.

took them off! much cheaper solution!
Does it sound better now?

AND....you have the added benefit of visually seeing what your preamp tubes are doing in the event one goes dark or lights up like a christmas tree.

phil b":2xgnwyyy said:

I've been saying this for too many years to count. The absolute ignorance from people who don't believe it or can't hear it speaks volumes about their knowledge on the entire guitar subject... or it could be they don't a discerning ear for tone/sound. lol. I remember catching flack for this topic many years ago and Doug Roccaforte chimed in with data proving changes in sound. :D

psychodave":ol0plsyx said:
phil b":ol0plsyx said:

I've been saying this for too many years to count. The absolute ignorance from people who don't believe it or can't hear it speaks volumes about their knowledge on the entire guitar subject... or it could be they don't a discerning ear for tone/sound. lol. I remember catching flack for this topic many years ago and Doug Roccaforte chimed in with data proving changes in sound. :D

why is it different? will try this.

On paper... yeah the tube covers add capacitance. In reality... I've never met anybody who could actually hear a difference. I've sat there while people play with their eyes closed and I've pulled the covers off and put them back on at random. Nobody can hear it. And, let's say it really was that big of a difference... turn that treble or presence nob a hair and you've just made up for it.

pre amp tube covers disturb the crystal lattice. everybody but fuckin noobs knows this. may the force be with you young padawan...

psychodave":aqsrf5c4 said:
phil b":aqsrf5c4 said:

I remember that one back in the day. We all mass-debated over that one. :jerkit: :jerkit: :jerkit:

Rezamatix":1lvec1u3 said:
psychodave":1lvec1u3 said:
phil b":1lvec1u3 said:

Couldn't hear a difference.....

I guess I just spoke volumes about my ignorance on my entire knowledge about the entire guitar subject and may not have a discerning ear for tone/sound.

fuck me right?

lol. My comment wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular, but the very fact that you commented... well, you know... :LOL: :LOL:

FourT6and2":1c2t4mqk said:
On paper... yeah the tube covers add capacitance. In reality... I've never met anybody who could actually hear a difference. I've sat there while people play with their eyes closed and I've pulled the covers off and put them back on at random. Nobody can hear it. And, let's say it really was that big of a difference... turn that treble or presence nob a hair and you've just made up for it.

I can think of another reason there could be a difference in sound: vibration transference and/or dampening (to the tube elements). Even so, is this something you'd hear in a preamp that's not sitting atop a speaker cabinet, or even in an amp that is sitting on a cabinet but not being played very loudly. Also, some preamp tubes will be more susceptible to this than others due to design differences and tolerance differences.

As such, it's something I don't think about unless it unknowingly and coincidentally helps me identify a microphonic preamp tube.

Back