Positive Grid Bias iOS sound awful. What am I doing wrong?

MR MARCUS

I got the Bias mobile version just for headphone practice so I really wasn't hoping for a poor mans AxeFx, but this crap is barely usable. It's noisy, has bad sound quality and seems to have a little delay in signal. I'm using the Positive Grid interface. Do I need to upgrade my interface? Thanks!

Mine sounds like ass through my iPad as well. Noisy and the sounds is a bit delayed. Unusable.

I use it with one of those Line6 port thingys. I find there is a slight bit of latency, but not enough to make it unusable. For noise I turn on the gate and problem solved. It almost always sounds like some effect is on when I have nothing on. Better through headphones than through monitors for sure. For me it had has made a great practice tool around the house.
The line6 app sounds a little better but doesn't have the same Jam tool that can pitch shift and speed change that I need.

Mine sounds great but only through JamUp. If I try to play directly in Bias something with the levels is wrong and I can't figure it out.

MR MARCUS":moq910r9 said:
I got the Bias mobile version just for headphone practice so I really wasn't hoping for a poor mans AxeFx, but this crap is barely usable. It's noisy, has bad sound quality and seems to have a little delay in signal. I'm using the Positive Grid interface. Do I need to upgrade my interface? Thanks!

Yeah, a better interface will make a big difference, especially from a noise perspective. I use the IRIG HD and it sounds pretty damn good. You can get some patches off the Share function to get you started.

Schaf":3s0dul02 said:
MR MARCUS":3s0dul02 said:

Yeah, a better interface will make a big difference, especially from a noise perspective. I use the IRIG HD and it sounds pretty damn good. You can get some patches off the Share function to get you started.

I use that interface with bias also. Sounds and works great! And I hate modeling software. Usually.

MR MARCUS":3abwt1tv said:
Mirrors my experience on mobile and desktop. Bias simply isn't very good. Much overhyped.

I hated modelers for decades, until I spent some time with BIAS.

I still use my tube amps, but BIAS is close enough...

Authentic early Van Halen tone with BIAS? Check!

Funny how we all hear things differently. I've used a few modelers, including the AFXII and I really like Bias. I haven't turned on a real amp in months since I really started tinkering with it.

I actually haven't spent a whole lot of time with it as far as dialing it in. But I was able to get a tone that was pretty good in a short amount of time. At least good enough to practice and learn songs. Maybe Scuffham is better, but I definitely wouldn't say it sucks. It's really no different than any other modeler or modeling software. You have to put some time in. Some more than others.

As I said earlier, get some patches off the share function. That'll give you a good baseline. Tweak those patches to suit you and your playing style. Just from the share function, it's apparent that good tone can be had, it's about learning how to use it.

Back