Post power amp effects loop device

polaris20

Is there such a thing as a device that offers a loop, and works after the power amp, for use on amps like a Mesa TA15, Vox AC, etc? There's the Bad Cat Unleash, of course, but A. I don't really need an attenuator, and B. I don't need the power amp. Just the effects loop would be awesome.

I don't even know if this is possible, because of levels and such, so please school me if that's the case.

Are you looking for a line tap off of the speaker signal? The Suhr Iso Line out will do this but it's typically used in a WDW rig...

If you're talking about putting effects in series between the power amp and speaker, that is actually impossible. You would need to tap off from a load box or something similar, and put effects on that signal, and then amplify that signal to drive a speaker or cab.

I think the Unleash is the one and only single product that will do something similar to what you want, since you need to first pad it down to line level to feed the FX and then in some way amplify the signal again to drive the speakers. Your original power amp will always be loaded down and in essence be a preamp feeding FX and an additional power amp.

I would rather take a tap off of the speaker signal, just like rcm suggested, and run that signal through the FX and a flat-response solidstate power amp into a separate cab in mono or stereo. That way you would end up with a wet-dry or wet-dry-wet setup.

Thanks JSP and Dave. That's what I was afraid of, but that actually makes a lot of sense. I dunno, perhaps the Unleash is worthwhile then. I'm not sure I want to go down the route of a wet/dry set up yet.

Back