Power Amp Emulator (PAE-1)

Damn now I really really want it to be tomorrow ASAP even more. I have mine waiting at the post office, been trying to get one for a few months now :)
I have a rack full of nice tube preamps and when I found your mentioned thread on TGP and saw what Casey built I was like "this could be THE solution" for a problem I was trying to solve for a long time - compact and awesome tube power amp sound without the need to run a 100w head into a Loadbox. And the tweakability! I'll report if I tried it and maybe will do clips or a review on my YT channel. Let's see how I like it.

Do you still have the Arthur Sound preamps?
I still have all my A.S. tube preamps. JMP, JCM800, Jubilee, and the 4th I bought was the Recto (dual rec). I still want to get more. HiWatt and Orange Rocker. One of the best gambles I’ve taken buying gear. Most I’ve had over a few years now.

I still have all my A.S. tube preamps. JMP, JCM800, Jubilee, and the 4th I bought was the Recto (dual rec). I still want to get more. HiWatt and Orange Rocker. One of the best gambles I’ve taken buying gear. Most I’ve had over a few years now.
I’d like to get one of the A.S. SLO preamps. I’m just wondering how he gets the SLO tone without the third preamp tube.

I’d like to get one of the A.S. SLO preamps. I’m just wondering how he gets the SLO tone without the third preamp tube.
Even JMP’s, JTM45’s, JCM800’s, and Dual Rec’s all have three preamp tubes but he nails those.

My Mahaffay HiLo Watt Plexi nails modded Plexi (up to just about perfect VH1 levels) with a single preamp tube. Multiple gain stages (normal/bright/gain) very distinct in it and it uses just the one preamp tube.

A single tube is capable of multiple stages, then I can see how people build it with just two tubes to still be pretty high gain.

Here is the demo of the SLO (high gain towards the end of the video)

Even JMP’s, JTM45’s, JCM800’s, and Dual Rec’s all have three preamp tubes but he nails those.
Well, the Marshalls have 2 preamp tubes and a phase inverter. That's 3 12AX7s. So 2 for the preamp is good.
The SLO has 3 preamp tubes, 1 effects loop tube and a phase inverter. That's 5 12AX7s or 4 if you leave out the one for the effects loop. So 3 for the preamp should be there. Am I wrong?

I asked in the comments on that video. I wonder if he still monitors those videos.
He replied.
Hello! 12AX7 is a double triod so each tube consists of two halves. Slo-100 lead channel uses two and a half of the tubes. (Clean channel uses one more half. I don't have a clean channel in my pedal).

But the last stage is a cathode follower (two halves), so you can take the signal not from the cathode but from the anode, saving one tube's half.

This does not affect the sound in any way.

Back