Power Tube Mystrey during testing

thickwood

The 6v6GTA pair used tested good and matched by seller did not test well .
The Conar 220 tester coming from a variac at 119vac is working fine.

However yesterday the 6v6gta pair tested 58% and 70%
After running awhile I was disappointed but today they came alive at 65% and 82% da !
So I took the old used GE 6v6 black plate pair out of the Rebel 30 head which when bought used tested 76%-76% .

Now there showing 89%-90% and checked the line voltage and settings how can they get better ?
So I tested other dormant tubes ive bought and they read as I bought them ?

WTF is going on right !
HOW CAN TUBES CONDUCT BETTER BEING USED that seems to be whats happened here .
I have read cathode coatings get carried away some by the electrons flying off and come back to the cathode if biased correctly.

I have had capacitors to reform but not tubes doing a similar thing until now ?

I took the chassis out and installed and biased the 58%-70% pair 6v6gta tubes I just received yesterday.
36.5 millivolt dc each and run it awhile and we will give them a chance to see whats going on.

Right now I do not have clue whats going on, the JJ Tesla el-844 9watt tubes in the Rebel 30 test at 90% when new they tested 75% !!!

Since everything I run gets better I am going to run the 6v6gta pair before giving feed back .

All the tubes I test are labeled and the ones I don't use test the same as before .
Any one else have a idea why tubes test stronger after some use get back to me !

I solved the mystery, the tester meter light suddenly brightened up when I bumped the unit while moving it and a cold solder joint is it.

The light is in the circuit so at least I am not wondering anymore.

Back