PRAISE: PAULA AKA shredhead666 RULES!!!!

I'm not doing this to call you out, paul, I've already PM'ed you about this. I just want this out there for my records and for everybody else to learn from.

I just bought a prototype voodoo amps witchdoctor from paul aka shredhead666, it came to me, not only late, but completely broken and unusable.
The box it came in was thin and worn down, the packaging material was maybe 2 1ft by 1ft bubble wrap sheets and a handful of form borders.
There wasn't even a fragile sticker on the box. So guess what happened?

Right when I finished cutting the box ties and tape open, I looked into the vent of the head and saw some tubes lying sideways as opposed to standing vertical, right then and there I knew something was wrong. I took out the head, and heard little bits and pieces of metal banging against each other like coins in a tin can. That confirmed that something was wrong, opened up the chassis. Here's what it looks like upon arrival:

DSC05340.jpg

DSC05341.jpg

DSC05342.jpg

DSC05343.jpg

DSC05344.jpg

DSC05346.jpg

So who's to blame? Well let's see...

I asked paul if he could ship it USPS and to declare the value rather low to avoid customs and brokerage. If the amp was damaged, this would result in a low dollar amount for claiming insurance, which I was fully well aware of and took full responsibility, ASSUMING that Paul knew how to package and ship an amp.

The amp was poorly packaged, there was no fragile sticker ANYWHERE whatsoever.

So all in all, I paid $550US and got a bunch of pieces of metal and unusable electronic shit. I would like the people of RT's opinions on this matter and what course of action they would take.

Damn that sucks dude!

I cant believe there was no fragile stick on it or the lack of bubble wrap.

Its a tough one, declaring the value less, as you pointed out is your responsibility....BUT...f%#$&... to have it packaged like thaaaaaat? Daaaaamn id be pointing the finger at him.

Tough situation. Sorry that it ended up like that

Sucks dude.. however if this was me I would have resolved this privately, and if the seller refused to help pay for it then I would make it public. You could have left it anonymous until things were getting nowhere... just IMO.

Even if the proper amount was claimed and UPS came to inspect the crappy packaging job it probably wouldn't grant you the insurance anyhow. I can't see the pictures so I can't really comment on how the job is done, but most shipping companies policy is that most things are supposed to be packed to withstand a 3 foot drop, however in UPS's case you better pack it to withstand a god damn tornado or else it would blow up. That is why I am really anal when it comes to packaging amps I sell :D

But in this case, I think Seller should take responsibility in a bad packaging job. But part of your problem is understating the Insurance as well.. can't always assume everyone knows how to pack an amp. If anything split the cost to repair since both of you f'd up in judgement.

How much was it insured for? And do you have any pics of how the amp was packed inside the box?

It looks like the tubes are shot but is there other damage? If its just tubes and it works OK have the seller cover that cost and get on with life. I have always heard tubes should be removed for shipping and packed in bubble pack.

Well, I have no pony in this race soooo....

You asked him to ******* customs documents so you could save money? That was your first mistake. ********* so you may want to edit your post to CYA. Also, if the item goes through customs, customs officials have every right to look through the box, item, etc....to look for contraband. Most of the time, they won't put all the protective packaging back in place...if in at all. I'm guessing that pics of the packing process and pre shipment box condition weren't exchanged? Upon arrival, did you have the delivery driver note the obvious damage to the outside of the box? This would be the first start of the claims process. FWIW, my prior career of eight years working with the USPS, I know that no clerk would ever take a box looking like that and offer insurance....it just screams falsified claim.

So with all that, I'd say remain calm. I know that what you spent was a big chunk of change. Try to start an insurance claims process with the Post Office and reiterate the fact that the box may have been opened at custom and may not have had the packing materials replaced properly. Also, contace Trace at Voodoo and see what he would charge to repair the item. I'm sure it would be reasonably priced. Try to be amicable throughout the process.

bill":2cw4ntii said:
It looks like the tubes are shot but is there other damage? If its just tubes and it works OK have the seller cover that cost and get on with life. I have always heard tubes should be removed for shipping and packed in bubble pack.

I usually never pull tubes, Ive shipped a ton of amps and none have ever had problems ever, if the amp is packed properly to withstand a drop it wouldn't break inside. I had a lady at DHL drop it right in front of my face on accident from the counter and nothing happened to my amps.

bill,
you see the small transformer on the top left? that's not supposed to be there, it's supposed to be in the middle at the bottom where that gaping rectangular hole is.
Also, under that same small transformer, there's a black wire, it's not connected to anything, it should be.

badger,
thanks for your advice. I've already contacted Trace, though I see no use in contacting the post office for a claim since it was insured for such a small amount.
edit: just checked the receipt, there wasn't even a dollar amount put on the customs form...

Tubes should always be removed for shipping. Every time i ship an amp i remove all tubes (pre and power) and i wrap each tube individually in bubble wrap. Then they go in a small box which can usually fit inside between the headshell and the chassis (where the preamp tubes usually are).

Every amp i have recieved, which has been shipped with the tubes still in, has had atleast one faulty tube or more. Not to mention pre tubes go bad when shook around, so normally one of those goes bad too.

I also always bubblewrap the amp head like 3x and then box it up with packing material in there too. I double box amps too, so at the very worst.. if it gets beaten to hell.. the outer box maybe killed but the inner box still protects.

Have you tried new tubes in it from what i can tell it looks like that is the only thing broken. Talk with trace about fixing it if anything else is broke I'm sure he could help you.

I've never removed the tubes from any amp I've shipped...and that's been around 30 or more. I've only received maybe 1 or 2 with the tubes removed as well. If the amp is packed well, that doesn't matter IMO.

MrDan666":3gneng78 said:
Tubes should always be removed for shipping. Every time i ship an amp i remove all tubes (pre and power) and i wrap each tube individually in bubble wrap. Then they go in a small box which can usually fit inside between the headshell and the chassis (where the preamp tubes usually are).

Every amp i have recieved, which has been shipped with the tubes still in, has had atleast one faulty tube or more. Not to mention pre tubes go bad when shook around, so normally one of those goes bad too.

I also always bubblewrap the amp head like 3x and then box it up with packing material in there too. I double box amps too, so at the very worst.. if it gets beaten to hell.. the outer box maybe killed but the inner box still protects.

If only everyone did this :LOL: :LOL: I am surprised a lot of my gear makes it and is able to turn on when it arrives

FWIW, other than obviously replacing any broken parts/sockets.. thats definitly repairable if you have half decent soldering skills.

I cant tell for sure, but if any tube sockets are broken.. those are easy to fix.. its as simple as swapping em out for new ones and soldering the wires to the same lugs. Looks like that Choke may need soldering back in too after its bolted back to the chassis.

But the main thing is the actual boards and components inside the chassis look fine still.

Megadeth7684":17nnzhdy said:
I've never removed the tubes from any amp I've shipped...and that's been around 30 or more. I've only received maybe 1 or 2 with the tubes removed as well. If the amp is packed well, that doesn't matter IMO.

Well even when iv recieved amps that have been packed extremely well.. if the tubes were still in when it was shipped, in most cases you could remove the tube and if you gently shake it.. You can hear stuff rattling around inside the tube. Not good.

I think it makes sense to atleast just remove the tubes and wrap them with a piece of bubblewrap. It almost guarantees nothing can happen to them that way :) It only takes a minute too

cyndicate":3ll76n41 said:
If only everyone did this :LOL: :LOL: I am surprised a lot of my gear makes it and is able to turn on when it arrives

I just take care with stuff because.. when i recieve an amp or guitar, i know the excitement is so intense, you just wana tear the box apart and plug in/play. When something's broken and stops you from doing that, it spoils it big time for me. So i just do my best to make sure it will be ready to plug in and play on straight away! :yes:

lefchr":iqn8luts said:
Have you tried new tubes in it from what i can tell it looks like that is the only thing broken. Talk with trace about fixing it if anything else is broke I'm sure he could help you.

The choke is ripped off and lying on its side disconnected. It is repairable, but more than a tube issue...

Steve

SgtThump":t2d9l3p5 said:
Not putting a fragile sticker on the box doesn't mean a thing. I never do that either and no problems. Not removing the tubes isn't a problem either. I've done that a million times with no issues. As a matter-of-fact, it seems to me that most or all amp makers ship amps with tubes installed.

It all boils down to the packing.

+1 Agreed totally...

Steve

sah5150":3aw3k55v said:
lefchr":3aw3k55v said:

The choke is ripped off and lying on its side disconnected. It is repairable, but more than a tube issue...

Steve

+1 I'm surprised some of you guys didn't notice that actually...

Back