"Protecting" your amp settings/knobs from changing?

Bash_Man

I wanted to see what everyone here uses to ensure their amp settings/knobs dont get changed when moving/transporting an amp that has dials.

I know there's solutions for pedals like locking knobs or "settings protectors", however I couldnt find anything for amps.

Any info is good.

Thanks,

Yeah little strip masking tape. Black sharpie line drawn on it at the setting. Always worked for me. But I never move my gear and know that a lot of tone changes can come from moving to different room. Etc. ymmv

Yeah all good suggestions here. Grease pen, masking tape with sharpie always work. I actually keep a spreadsheet for each amp.

super glue
Get a tech to swap all potentiometers with fixed resistors that match your settings. Sure it’s drastic, but if you’re really adamant about no one messing with your settings…

super glue works great too and you could probably still adjust the knobs if you grip hard enough with some pliers

I remember seeing these back when they first came out, but hey, there's a market for it!

48080-siverback_front_g_30.jpg

48082-silver_det1_30.jpg

I wouldn’t call it protecting but, a graphic friend of mine and fellow guitar player made up a sheet of adhesive dots to use for settings…
8AE32BF7-00AC-4926-833E-357D88CC0C65.jpeg

The rubber washer between the knob and face plate idea is great. I know Paul Gilbert had those on his pedals to keep the knobs from scooting around while stomping them on and off during shows. That would definitely help keep amp settings in place.

I would think a slight pot movement would be more of an issue on amps with active tone control (Mesa Boogie)? Amps with passive tone controls should be okay with marking the pots location (granted pot movements would be more severe in the 7,8,9 range as it’s likely an audio taper pot is being used).

I memorize what I use at the practice. Then I end up adjusting them at every single gig anyway...

Your tone relies so much on the room. If you're using the same settings at every gig and practice, I guarantee your audience is not hearing the same tone you worked out at your practice space.

Back