PRS SE30 head, yeah/nay?

C1-ocaster

Of the vast sea of amps available to us I don't recall seeing much about PRS amps.
Info on their guitars, yes, amps not so much.

I've seen PRS amps over the years on ads, but have no experience with them.
Their prices seem a bit on the high side, even for the non US made ones.

Anyway, I just bought a new-demo PRS SE-30 head for $350!
Since GC was discounting PRS guitars so greatly I figured I'd do an amp search and found this one.
It's getting boxed up and sent as I write this, so I hope to have it by the weekend, and then I'll know for myself if I like or not.

Seems this series is non longer going to be made by PRS and that's likely why they are being heavily discounted.
There are PRS replacements.
I asked the store manager if GC was no longer carrying PRS products due to the big discounts.
He said that that is not the case.
He says GC bought a lot of product from PRS and now they have last years product that needs to be moved to make room for current product, this includes guitars and amps.

I decided on the SE-30 because I prefer the tone power of 6L6/5881 tubes that this one has. The SE-20 is 6V6, which are nice too.
And the SE-50 is EL34.

Please post your experience with PRS amps in general and the SE line specifically.

They can be a bit Fizzy/Buzzy on the OD channel, Clean channel is great and really well made from what I have seen... congrats that is a great price!

I tried a couple SE combos....and I liked them. As much as the term gets thrown around, I felt I really was getting a "boutique" style at a nice price. That basically in Peavey Classic territory! Not sure if you will be happy with it or not...but a very good price...good score!

They are very well made. I played the 50 watt H model (6L6) and it was a decent amp. I wouldn't have bought it unless there was more markdown but that's just personal preference.

Cool.
Seems to be positive feed back.

Yes, it's an amazing price score. :)
The guy did tell me that there is a longish scratch/rash on the side of the head, but the tolex is not ripped.
That's fine with me. At this price I'm cool with it, as I'm more interested in what it will sound like and feel like.

I also got a 3yr extended warranty with accidental coverage for like $80 more. Nice. :)

The odd thing about PRS's decision on tubes is that they use Tung Sol 12ax7's in V1 and I think V2, but they use a 12at7 for the PI.
I'll give a go with the stock tubes, but I'm fairly certain I'll be putting in a 12ax7 in the PI to better match what's going on up front.

I'm getting either a Bogner Red pedal or Wampler Triple Wreck to go with this head, so I'll see how it works with those hot Tung's in the front end.
I'll try to get some recordings and post a vid over the weekend if it gets here in time.

Back