Question about Charvel custom shop

Tonal Sex

I'm asking those who might know about the Charvel custom shop if they'll make you a San Dimas guitar that is slightly smaller bodied than a typical San Dimas. More like 7/8 size? Or do they just strictly make the one size/shape/style? Thanks.

I believe the dinky body is slightly smaller than the San Dimas body...curt (chubtone) is a great resource for any charvel information and really did a stand up job on baby sitting my custom shop order.

They're at least use to be a dinky shape for Charvel that was slightly smaller.

Plus, the custom shop and the masterbuilders will probably make whatever you want for a price (as long as it doesn't infringe trademarks etc.).

Ordering a custom Charvel seems to be a bit of a dark art right now. It seems that they've really restricted the dealers who can order them, plus they're doing a 'custom select' thing like Jackson, which in the case of Charvel (from memory) is the standard SD body only, strat headstock only, and then your choice of fingerboard, neck and body woods, hardware and electronics, and colour.

So getting a dinky body would be a master built option, and that instantly bumps it up by 1700 (list) which is a pill most folks won't want to swallow.

What is a person looking at for a custom order from charvel price wise anyway? Say a standard body with a Floyd and a colour of your choice with matching headstock. I would have thought these would be in the 2500$ range?

Jackson/Charvel has had four basic bolt-on strat shapes in the past... the 24-fret Dinky which is more or less a Soloist, the 22-fret Dinky which has the same outline as a Tom Anderson, the full-size San Dimas and a sort of hybrid San Dimas with the sharper edges of a Dinky. Don´t know what they offer today, though.

I don't really wany a dinky body. I just want a smaller SD body. One with the same size curve on the edges and shape etc. if I'm not mistaken dinkys are contoured arent they? I just like the SD style.

First off, you are looking at two years if you are lucky. You need a dealer who is willing to spend ridiculous amounts of time babysitting your build and trying to make sure that things don't get messed up as the specs go from your original build sheet we work on together to the internal Charvel build sheet/price quote sheet. Then from there, it gets translated once again to the build sheet that the actual builders use. It is staggering how much room for error there is in this process and I wouldn't exactly describe it as a rare occurrence. LOL

Chubtone":2wd8nqjp said:
First off, you are looking at two years if you are lucky. You need a dealer who is willing to spend ridiculous amounts of time babysitting your build and trying to make sure that things don't get messed up as the specs go from your original build sheet we work on together to the internal Charvel build sheet/price quote sheet. Then from there, it gets translated once again to the build sheet that the actual builders use. It is staggering how much room for error there is in this process and I wouldn't exactly describe it as a rare occurrence. LOL

I would sooner get a production model with the colour i like and just send it to chubtone to pimp it out..do you still do that Curt? I guess it is kind of like an "appearance package" but i saw a few you did years ago and they looked bitchin.

Back