question for dave?

Browns Fan

Should I be worried if the line coming into my house 25 volts to high. We had a problem with the power company's power line.

Most things are Engineered with a bit of tolerance.

My old building the AC line voltage was anywhere from 109 to 121 and i had two 1978 JMP's and things were fine.

My current house voltage is always a steady 120.

If you have a newer amp like a BE-100 i wouldn't sweat it.

As long as ur tewbs aren't red plating.

Don't breathe easy just yet (and don't believe everything you read on forums). If your line voltage is 25 volts too high, then you could face serious problems in your amp. First off, your 'AC heater voltage' will be too high. Your BE-100 might use DC heaters; maybe the circuit can handle 20% extra heater voltage, but maybe not. Second, the high DC voltages (B+) in your amp may be MUCH higher than spec, and the various components (e.g., filter capacitors) might not be able to handle the excess voltage. Many electrolytic caps inside guitar amps are rated at 450 or 500V "working voltage" (they can handle higher surges). An amp that normally has a B+ of 470Vdc (at the correct line voltage) might have a B+ of 570Vdc (at the much higher line voltage). That is way beyond the max working voltage. And you really don't want a filter cap to fail catastrophically...

Wait for Mr. Friedman's advice, or talk to a local amp tech.

So it was high for a bit or is still? Also your saying it was like 145vac? Seems rediculous. You sure it was 25v more?

It was high for a bit,and yes the guy from the power company said he measured 25v more in the neighborhood. My furnace had the power transformer blow. I wasn't plying my amp when we had a big surge. I just hope I don't have any damage. Not sure when the power voltage in the neighborhood went up. Thanks for chiming in Dave!!

I would use a volt meter and measure your line voltage right now to see where you're at.

I use a Furman PF PRO into another rack Furman, they come in handy.

Furmans have RFI/EMI filtering and spike protection thats quite high voltage.

I live in Brazil, and the voltage here is about 127-130V.
At home I use a device to set voltage about 118-120V. But in shows, it goes directly to wall voltage....

Back